You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Garmin Dezl 760LMT

Staying up with the latest technology can sometimes be daunting at best. But I am just one of those people who has to have the latest & greatest. Suzy got me a brand new Dezl 760! The screen looks like a big screen TV. The down side is that a perfectly good gps will get put in the bullpen. That Garmin Street Pilot III has served me without a glitch for 12 years. It has that big 3" screen and the latest space age technology that 1999 had to offer. I hope this doesn't mean that Suzy is coming after my garage TV next-----I got that 12" black & white tv with the 1984 Pace Arrow I bought in 1989.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I am certain that compared to a 3", the 760 does look like a large screen TV.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I need one!, someone tell Patti

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Now that I am on Dezl 760 number TWO I am much more pleased. First unit had issues. Haven't got to use it much so will withhold a review of how it functions.

I do want to review Garmin tech support. These are my opinions and my experiences. After reading the manual it appears that it was written by someone who has never seen a Dezl 760 unit and is not familiar with how it works. Each call to Garmin on the day I called was a 35 minute wait to talk to a tech. During my six calls I was disconnected twice! I spoke with four different people at Garmin tech support, level one. The product is so new that no one is actually familiar with the unit. Several times I read directly from the owners manual that is only for the 760 and was told "that is not how it actually works". I was told to download a program that I later was told "I don't know why you were told to download that program because we are discontinuing its use and won't be supporting it". Many excuses why the unit wasn't working that made no sense. I finally got a woman who discounted every thing that I had been told prior and passed me on to a second level tech. With in two minutes he said your unit is not communicating properly. Take it back to the store & exchange it for a new unit. Huh

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

Please keep us informed as to your experiences....I am about to buy one of these and was surprised to hear that you had a dead one out of the box. I will hold up until we hear your experiences with the new one!

Thanks!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,
I wouldn't put off buying one because I got a first bad one. So far the second new one has performed flawlessly. It got me home from the store and right to my house. Not a big test, but it works. It recalculates extremely fast & does so without telling you. The BIG screen is incredible and you can hear the thing very well even with road noise. I want a unit that I can map on the computer with MapSource software and transfer to the gps. I am able to do so, although there is a little trick to doing it. With VERY limited use I am very pleased with the unit itself.

Things that I am not thrilled with:
Lack of knowledgeable tech support. Just be persistent and insistent to get to second level support and you will be talking with a knowledgeable person.
Owners manual is so generic it borders on unuseful.
The data cord is a joke. It is 18" long. Works fine with a laptop, but not great with a desktop. I purchased 6' cord.
Doesn't come with a glass suction cup mount. Comes with a permanent style stick on holder.

Price is very good for the unit. I would buy the unit again! There will be enough of us with these units that we can provide our own support.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, I just posted my situation on the DDEC subject, and I have posted before my problem with the Rand-McNally GPS because the screen is difficult to see on a bright day. Before going to the Dezl, I would like to know your experience using it in bright sunlight next to the side window. If it works great in sunlight, then it can be positioned close to the side window and will be far superior to the Rand-McNally. Out coach dashes have similar configurations, so I am wondering if the Dezl will work next to your overhead tire monitor since the Dezl does not provide for an external antenna.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,
I'll be using it on my trip to Newell on April 7th & I'll let you know my experience with the sunlight issue and the antenna reception. I will say on the way home from the store Suzy just held it in her lap in our Suburban and it never lost reception. I also get 4 to 5 reception bars at my desk in the house. My desk is about 6 foot in from the wall and my home has some roof overhang.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Ok, you talked me into it.. I'll play with it this weekend....

Jimmy

Did you get one too, Jimmy? Is so let us know your opinion.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531