You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fuel tank leak
I have developed a fuel leak that drips from a point about a foot inside the drivers side directly below the tank.  Anyone have any ideas on this? It started a while back but doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I was parked full time in Tyler Texas through the winter of 16/17 and temp dropped into the low 20's a couple of times.  On those occasions I heard a noise that sounded like someone hitting the tank with a rubber mallet, I assumed it was caused by cold contraction of the air since I didn't have but about half a tank of fuel.  Wondering if I might have popped a weld.
Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide
Probably just pure luck, but a repair shop put a jack under my fuel tank that left a leak. It wasn't pouring out, but if I wiped it off diesel immediately reappeared. I tried JB Weld on it thinking there was no way it would bond, but never leaked again.
Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500 hp ISM 6spd ZF
Look at the bottom of your tank there should a sump on one end with a petcock or other type of valve on the bottom. This sump is where water can collect and be drained off from the petcock.
Is the petcock leaking? Or around this area?
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1999 Foretravel 36' U320
former owners 1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486 

former owners 1993 Newell 39' #337 
2011 Chevy Tahoe RZR 570LE

I have used fiber glass shower repair kit successfully on aluminum diesel fuel tanks.
Thanks for the responses, I thought about JB Weld but didn't know if being soaked with diesel would keep it from adhering.  I saw the petcock under there but didn't see anything dripping from it although that doesn't mean it isn't leaking, I will check it. As for the fiberglass repair kit, that hadn't even crossed my mind.  If it isn't the petcock, I think finding the leak is going to be enough of a hassle much less having to potentially pull the tank to fix it.
Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide
i would guess the pitcock is a much more likely culprit than a leak in the tank itself. i would sure start there. i always use some kind of paper product to find dripping leaks. like the blue shop papertowells or anything similar. any moisture on them shows up very clearly.

tom
2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Although the leak did not appear to be coming from the petcock I decided to follow the suggestions above (and the always prudent KISS theory) so I opened and then snugged down the petcock, placed some heavy paper towels under it and gave it a few days.  Towels came back with only one or 2 drops on them which I'm sure were just residual, so apparently the problem is solved.  Again, thanks for the help everyone.  Hopefully some day I can make a suggestion that helps someone.
Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide