You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Roof Hatch Small Leak

I have a small leak on one the roof hatch/skylight on a '88 and I can't find how to replace the rubber gasket on it, not to mention I can't buy a replacement for it before I can remove it from it's location, anybody has any idea how to remove the rubber gasket first and then where to get the replacement next?

Thanks!

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

many years ago i bought what newell said was their last skylight they had from that vintage and they were getting rid of all those old parts. i kept it as a spare so well i cant find it.

i dont think replacement parts are available for them anymore. best case would be to look for any kind of marking that shows the manufacturer and call them.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

The problems of owning and old coach Smile I'll pay close attention to the seal and see if there's any info in it.

Thanks!

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

A small bead of caulk will stop the leak

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Once you get the dimensions and cross section try Steele Rubber Products

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(06-15-2018, 07:42 AM)Floridian Wrote:  I have a small leak on one the roof hatch/skylight on a '88 and I can't find how to replace the rubber gasket on it, not to mention I can't buy a replacement for it before I can remove it from it's location, anybody has any idea how to remove the rubber gasket first and then where to get the replacement next?

Thanks!

I removed my roof hatches and had new custom skylights made from ez tops worldwide. I have installed 8 skylights through the years, pretty easy. Hardest part or a little more time consuming is making the interior close out. I choose to have just the bubble skylight for light and not the function of open and close.Not worth the risk of leaks.

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

I had the same problem years ago and took some silicone after first cleaning the gasket and put a thin film all the way around then put some wax paper over the silicone and closed the lid to the point where the entire seal was in contact with the glass but not entirely shut. This is still holding up after maybe 10 years. Not sure if i had to heat the wax paper afterwards or not. maybe after it cures it just peels off. I used clear GE 50 year stuff.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Thanks for all the answers. I thought about replacing all of them with new vents but not there yet. I did went to Lowes and bought this weatherstrip:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-10-ft-Black...ip/1038917

We cleaned it up with denatured alcohol and carefully installed it. It lasted a single day, not sure if the sun hitting directly affected it or what but on the first rain (Florida summer rains are big) we went all proud to check our modification just to find that it was leaking even worst than before.

While we were there we removed that weatherstrip and used a different one (we replaced the window sealant on all windows) very similar to this one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-13-ft-Expan...1000460601

we waited another day and went back expecting to be leaking and to our surprise it worked perfectly fine. Not sure how this will last but I'll call Steele Rubber Products and see if I can get the right replacement for it.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)