You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

devise in rear compartment heating up

So classic troubleshooting takes you to “everything was fine till I changed the merge solenoid”. Start your search there.

Disconnect the merge solenoid. Check voltages on both house and chassis batteries as Jon said.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Make sure new merge switch is a "continuous on" switch. You may have to put the old switch back in to get batteries charged up to get door open. If the inverter is seeing low incoming voltage, it may be shutting down.

Random other thoughts:

If lack of air is preventing coach access, can you disconnect power from either compressor (assuming you have 12V and 120V comps) and hot wire it to an external power source? IE wire a plug onto the 120V compressor's pigtail and plug it into the wall.
If you have an external air compressor, you could plug into the air inlet in the rear to get air into the system.

Depending on 12V status, you might also need to jump the air solenoid controlling the door. I don't have an air door, so not sure how accessible that solenoid is (also assuming it's a similar solenoid to the rest of the air controlled systems, my ignorance is strong on the air door).

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

(06-21-2018, 07:50 AM)pestes Wrote:  Random other thoughts:

If lack of air is preventing coach access, can you disconnect power from either compressor (assuming you have 12V and 120V comps) and hot wire it to an external power source? IE wire a plug onto the 120V compressor's pigtail and plug it into the wall.
If you have an external air compressor, you could plug into the air inlet in the rear to get air into the system.

Depending on 12V status, you might also need to jump the air solenoid controlling the door. I don't have an air door, so not sure how accessible that solenoid is (also assuming it's a similar solenoid to the rest of the air controlled systems, my ignorance is strong on the air door).

Again, thanks for all your responses but I got it working again. I called Newell and the tech advised me to release the air valve for the door to open, turned the merge switch on, still no 12 volt. I then started the engine, no problem then started the generator and all 12v came on. After letting it run about 15 mins, I turned everything off and with the merge swith on still had 12v. I then turned the 120 shore power on, turned the merge switch off and now everything, including the inverter is working fine. Not sure what I did but again it is all a learning curve. By the way, the tech at Newell said leaving the merge switch on does not hurt anything, even with the solenoid getting hot. That does not sound right to me. Will keep you posted if I have any issues
Thanks
Dario

Remember that on 120 volt land line power, with merge switch off, the house batteries are being charged by the inverter/charger but the chassis batteries are not being charged. Newell recommends replacing the merge solenoid regularly (once a year in most cases) but I find that on my coach that is overkill even if I leave the merge switch on 24/7. Incidentally, when you start the coach, the merge solenoid is automatically activated as long as the engine is running.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(06-21-2018, 08:14 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Remember that on 120 volt land line power, with merge switch off, the house batteries are being charged by the inverter/charger but the chassis batteries are not being charged. Newell recommends replacing the merge solenoid regularly (once a year in most cases) but I find that on my coach that is overkill even if I leave the merge switch on 24/7. Incidentally, when you start the coach, the merge solenoid is automatically activated as long as the engine is running.

Should I leave the merge switch on when not running but on shore power? Will this keep the chassis batteries charged? I start it at least weekly and run the gen set every 3-4 weeks
with both A/C units on.
Dario

We always leave our batteries merged when on shore power or if dry camping & generator is on. We turn merge off when dry camping & not running generator. On occasion the house battery voltage has gotten low enough for the generator fuel solenoid to not engage while cranking. Resulting in a generator that won't start. We then start coach engine and the auto merge provides enough voltage to get generator running. Would probably be ok to just merge to start generator, but I am quite paranoid about having all batteries run down at the same time resulting in nothing starting.

i am not so sure that my coach automatically merges the battery banks when the engine is on. i know when my alternator external regulator wasnt working, i had to manually merge the banks using the switch to get the genny to keep the voltage up.

so do others with my vintage of coach see the same thing? meaning no merge until the switch is moved?

and by the way, if the coach batteries were dead and the merge switch was frozen in the position where the engine starting batteries were powering the entire coach (or vice versa) then when you put the new solenoid in and it was in the position where the dead batteries were supposed to be triggering the solenoid, then it would be possible that the 12v systems in the coach wouldnt work and the airdoor would not open. and for everyone to remember and know that has an bode air door for entrance, that there is a door pressure release in the compartment next to the door and another inside in the cabinent next to the door. both can be used to open the air door when you cant open the door for whatever reason. you just have to have the key to the bay door.

also that means if someone knows how to do it and you leave the bay doors unlocked, they can get into the door if the door is locked with the keyless entry.

the air door can be locked with a key to lock the deadbolts on both sides of the door. however, if you do that and then try and open the door using the air system, i would be afraid you would damage something. so i never use that key.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(06-21-2018, 09:14 AM)encantotom Wrote:  i am not so sure that my coach automatically merges the battery banks when the engine is on.  i know when my alternator external regulator wasnt working, i had to manually merge the banks using the switch to get the genny to keep the voltage up.  

so do others with my vintage of coach see the same thing?  meaning no merge until the switch is moved?

and by the way,  if the coach batteries were dead and the merge switch was frozen in the position where the engine starting batteries were powering the entire coach (or vice versa) then when you put the new solenoid in and it was in the position where the dead batteries were supposed to be triggering the solenoid, then it would be possible that the 12v systems in the coach wouldnt work and the airdoor would not open.   and for everyone to remember and know that has an bode air door for entrance, that there is a door pressure release in the compartment next to the door and another inside in the cabinent next to the door.  both can be used to open the air door when you cant open the door for whatever reason.  you just have to have the key to the bay door.  

also that means if someone knows how to do it and you leave the bay doors unlocked, they can get into the door if the door is locked with the keyless entry.  

the air door can be locked with a key to lock the deadbolts on both sides of the door.  however, if you do that and then try and open the door using the air system, i would be afraid you would damage something.  so i never use that key.  

tom

That make sense Tom about the merge switch and yes it is good to know where the air door release valves are located and how to use them. Without one, I would still be trying to get in
Thanks
Dario

(06-21-2018, 09:14 AM)encantotom Wrote:  i am not so sure that my coach automatically merges the battery banks when the engine is on.  i know when my alternator external regulator wasnt working, i had to manually merge the banks using the switch to get the genny to keep the voltage up.  

so do others with my vintage of coach see the same thing?  meaning no merge until the switch is moved?

and by the way,  if the coach batteries were dead and the merge switch was frozen in the position where the engine starting batteries were powering the entire coach (or vice versa) then when you put the new solenoid in and it was in the position where the dead batteries were supposed to be triggering the solenoid, then it would be possible that the 12v systems in the coach wouldnt work and the airdoor would not open.   and for everyone to remember and know that has an bode air door for entrance, that there is a door pressure release in the compartment next to the door and another inside in the cabinent next to the door.  both can be used to open the air door when you cant open the door for whatever reason.  you just have to have the key to the bay door.  

the air door can be locked with a key to lock the deadbolts on both sides of the door.  however, if you do that and then try and open the door using the air system, i would be afraid you would damage something.  so i never use that key.  

tom
Hi Tom

Well it looks like I am still having an issue with the merge solenoid. I finally got the house batteries up, had to charge them with an external battery charger and now the Xantrex charger seams to be working, however when I turn the dash switch to neutral, all 12v goes dead. If I leave the house battery switch on and turn chassis switch to off position, all is dead again. I suspect that when I installed the new solenoid I must have done what you thought with solenoid position, How would I correct this?

Thanks
Dario