You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide pin sensors

Responding to Tom's (#15) post, I procured the Grainger disk magnets that my slides have been doing without. Current symptom is that the bedroom slide will retract slightly too far and not lock. That slide has magnets in place under the skin of the roof (will attract a steel screw.) The indicator lights at the hydraulic control box show "IN UPPER FRONT" lit and "IN UPPER REAR" unlit. According to the HWH manual, the locks should activate when the retract position is indicated (and when pressure is 3000 psi,) which I presume requires both detectors to respond and light both indicators. So now, armed with magnets, I stick one (magnetically, no adhesive) to the existing magnet location (which worked by itself until a few months ago) on the rear of the slide roof and retract the slide. No change in symptoms. So is the next thing to check the actual Hall effect detector? Anyone know how to do this, or should I call HWH?
Thanks,
Chuck

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

HWH has been very helpful to me in resolving issues. You just have to call and then wait for them to call you back. Usually takes about two weeks in my experience.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

chuck, call paul, the guy i gave you the number for. no waiting time

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Finally found this thread by searching ‘magnet’ of all things :-)
Would I have this ‘hydraulic control box’ that Chuck was referring to in his post above?
I’m going to test the top of the slide to see if there are any magnets in the slide room or in the switch. Not sure whether the key/switch needs to be on or not so will try it both ways… now I have to figure out how to get the valance off with the slide IN… fan is in the way I think…

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian,

I doubt you will have magnets. Our vintage is keyed off limit switch. I seem to recall you working on the limit switch in the bedroom.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Yes, that is my main culprit (the limit switch) - I am planning to check it in the morning but may get froggy and do it tonight. I think I need to check continuity on the switch first and then may hand-hold the switch in (or maybe with vice-grips to keep out of the way) and try to extend. Newell also mentioned a bolt that needed to be removed to under-retract the slide but I don’t remember removing one…

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Thanks Bruce - I will look at the switch next. 
I was able to push the locking pin up fully into the slide with a flat bar (as Newell suggested) but that didn’t help.
I tested the switch under the bed and it looks like it has continuity but I may be testing it incorrectly - there are 3 wires on one side (the wire assembly with the switch) and 2 wires on the wire assembly connected to the ‘coach’ - I guess that part goes up to the switch.  I tried checking for voltage but I need a helper to test it or I have to get longer test leads…  I tested with the engine running on fast idle and no dice, slide would not move.  I can’t hear the pumps in the front bay whether they are running or not… maybe I can convince my wife to come help me tomorrow.  I may go ahead and test that switch in the bedroom and change it out for the one up front that I know works… of course I hate to mess with something that is working already (so frustrating!) …
It looks like I’m missing a bolt under the bed (about 1”long x 1/2” - guessing) anyone have a good picture of what that should really look like under there?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Don’t take apart a working system, please.

I will get you some pics as soon as I can.

And a wiring schematic for the switch.

I have extra switches. I will send you one.

It’s been broken this long, chill till you get the pics and the schematic.

If you trip that switch while the slide is moving out, you WILL punch new slide pin holes in the top of the slide out. This is not the place to wire it up and see what happens.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

OK, will wait - I was thinking of using the OUT (passenger) switch in place of the IN switch (driver) to test the switch but I would not be able to tell when the slide was OUT all the way. This would cause a different problem and like you said, probably punch a hole in my roof! I’ll CHILL for a while, go on my trip and figure this out. The switch does make the most sense because it was the last thing I touched before it all went to H***. I’ll try to source one of the switches from Grainger locally (not holding my breath) and then will order one online. I’ll check McMaster Carr for one also… I can’t believe they overnight everything - great service!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

I ordered the slide limit switch from Grainger: https://www.grainger.com/product/HONEYWE...avel-6DXC7 - should be here on Monday and I will try this all again.

Karen & Adrian Abshire