You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Progressive Industries Surge Protector Chapter 2

All,
In a different thread i discussed an issue that I had with the above companies external surge protector model EMS-PT50C. I received late in the week a new Progressive Industries surge protector model EMS-PT50X. Took in to the coach to plug into the 50 amp service. The coach was plugged into 50 amp service and receiving power to the coach. Unplugged the 50 amp cord and plugged the new surge protector in to the 50 amp service. The protector went through it's diagnostics and and normal readings were provided. Plugged the 50 amp cord into the protector and the coach did not receive any power. Exactly the same result as a couple of weeks ago as what happened with the old protector. Unplugged both the 50 amp cord from the protector and the protector from the 50 amp service. Plugged the 50 amp cord into the 50 amp service and power was restored to the coach.
What is the problem? Do I have a coach problem or another surge protector problem? This has become a frustrating situation.

Reese 

Newell Coach 1242

I have a different external surge protector, and your instructions may tell you differently.....but....

The process you describe where you plug the protector in and wait for it to do its diagnostics *then* plug the coach into the proctector may confuse it. On my unit I plug the coach into the protector *then* plug the protector power cord into the pedestal. When the diagnostics are complete it sends power to the coach. My theory is that the inrush current and the arcing that inevitably happens when you plug in are telling the proctector that something is wrong and it disconnects.

Also, on mine it takes a really long time to send power to the coach. Like 150 seconds!

Also, on your vintage coach, I thought that you had a surge protector built in. Is that just a pigment of my imagination?

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,
Thank you for your insight. When all else fails read the instructions. The instructions that came with the surge protector recommends the same process that you do. Operator error on my part. Mystery solved. 
I had done it the previous way numerous times without a problem until the incident in early June. I am lucky that this error had not shown up before now. Thank you.

Reese

Newell Coach 1242

Reese, Glad you got it figured out. Your well-written problem statement gave the clue. Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Reese,

Given your power challenges, it is generally good practice to take the cover off the plug once a year and examine/tighten the connections. Unplugged of course. ?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
Thank you for the tip on checking the tightness of the connections.

Reese

Newell Coach 1242

Took the surge protector back to the coach this today. Read and followed the instructions for plugging the 50 amp cord into the surge protector and then plug the surge protector into the power pole. It's amazing when you do things the correct way they work. Another episode of operator error and the lesson that are taught. Read the manual/instructions and things will be less frustrating.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Reese 

Newell Coach 1242