You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

slide creep caused seal to roll out

hi all,  forest is here and we are working on his coach.  then i walked to the drivers side of mine and saw both slides had creeped out.  the bedroom one about an inch because the pins were down.  the salon slide about 3 inches because the pins were not engaged and the slide seal has rolled completely out in places.  

and the 2 inch trim piece below the slide on one piece has slid up and needs moved down and riveted.  

the seal is the original and has the paint from original done so it is about 18 years old.  so am thinking i probably should just put a new one in.  

newell says you can get it back in with some work but it will not be glued in anymore.  i would rather fix it right in the comforts of my shop than on the road somewhere.  

looks like it is time to make some slide support mechanisms to take the slide out.  

always something.

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

and i need to replace a couple of extend solenoids....

it had been sitting with the slides in for a couple of months.

tom

Tom,

Once you get the slide extended and seal out, you will figure out that the slide seal needs to be cut to the correct length. (You will find the splice on the old one).

The seal is only available from Newell as far as I know. You pretty much just order a slide seal and they send you the longest one they make. They will also send you a tube of adhesive along with the metal part that holds the splice.

When you cut the seal to make the correct length....try to blow some air through the whole thing. The release powder that they use to make the seal remains in the seal and can gunk up the air line. Newell found almost a handful of talcum powder in the last seal that they replaced on my coach.

Look closely at the retainer (piece of rubber that is glued to the coach and holds the seal in place)...On our vintage coaches, water tends to collect at the bottom and will cause surface rust to form under the retainer. The retainer is readily available from Newell.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Do you know what caused the slides to inch outward? Did the seals roll because they were inflated when the slides moved?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

odd that both slides creeped out. years ago my front slide did that. it was the extend hydraulic solenoid. and that is what the troubleshooting guide says.

so i will replace both of them.

and yes, the seal was inflated and when the slide came out 3 inches or so, the seal came out with it.

the rear slide pins were down, so it only crept out a little and so it didnt roll the seal out. the front slide puts the pins down most of the time, but this past time it didnt and since i was just inside my shop i didnt worry about it. to me this is a reason to store it inside with the slides out and i will do that from now on......then it will be the retract solenoid that goes bad and rolls the seal into the inside....ha

the slide seal from newell is pricey. 1400 plus 100 handling and shipping on top of that. i called the manufacture of the seal (sealmaster) and though they would make one, they only do custom orders and for a small quantity it was 3x the price.

still contemplating how to take the slide out.

tom

Even storing it with the slides out, couldn't you experience the same issue but in reverse?

IE the retract solenoid leaking and the slide trying to inch itself in and rolling the seal inward?

Or perhaps there's not enough room for the seal to inch inward. But maybe then it might just burst?

Just thinking out loud.

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

paul  

yes you are right.  if the retract solenoid leaks and the slide is out, it will creep in and do the same thing.  

i took the trim pieces off the slide.  i had another problem where the 2 inch trim piece on the coach below the slide had come loose.  i will have to rivet it back on as there is rust behind it on the frame.  

my trim pieces were siliconed on the bottom so besides taking the screws out at each end, i had to cut the silicone all the way across the bottom.  then they slide off each end of the slide.  took a little love tap with a rubber mallet.  

i tried to push the seal back in all the way around but that didnt turn out to be something i could get done and....i knew i was replacing the seal anyway.  

so i had darlene slowly move the slide out while i guided the rubber seal.  as you can see from the pictures.....the seal is hanging outside the slide now....not exactly where ya want it....ha

now to figure out which slide mechanism i have.  there are several.  some you access the ram and limit switch from inside.  some from underneath.  this seal is original as it has the original paint on it.  it does seem in good shape and once i take it completely out i will see if it still holds air.  if so, it is very durable as it got stressed pretty hard.  

i am researching and designing a slide cart now.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

i have new hydraulic solenoids coming next week. i will change them out when i get them.

tom

from what mark at newell says, my front salon slide is the size the seal is and will not need to be cut.

if you have to cut the slide or replace the channel, the slide needs to come entirely out by cutting all the wires and completely disconnect the hydraulics. he also said he very seldom replaces the channel on the bottom.

i really do not want to entirely take the slide out.

tom

i have begun the slide cart process. i have ordered the crane jacks, bought the heavy duty castors that wont marr my floor up. and working with my machine shop buddy on a design that is a bit more streamlined than the newell shop one.

tom