You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Main awning/Wind Sensor

Tony,
Call Kyle Johnston at Girard,
he has been a big help to me.
800-382-8442

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Well, I had one control box cleaned and wired it in.  That didn't do it.  Same thing with # two and the same result.  Now I have 2 extra control boxes at least.  That leaves me open to NEW IDEAS.  I have bypassed the panel switch earlier with neg. results.
One option is to bypass the box entirely or put the drill on the hand crank.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

Tony,

This is what I would do given my understanding of the issue. Find a schematic or call girard to get the color code scheme of the wires going to the motor. Disconnect the wires from the control box to the motor. Rig a test wire jig with a an inline switch like a lampcord and hardwire the motor. Will it extend? If so, and it will retract when power is applied to the other lead then the issue is the controller. If it will not move or moves erratically, then you either have a motor issue or a gearbox issue. They are the same unit so it really doesn't matter. The only reason I mention it is the gearbox has two worm screws which activate switches in the gearbox. Those worm screws count the number of turns so that the awning extends and retracts the same number of turns. You may have an issue with that part of the motor assembly

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard!  I was trending toward that line of thinking, but you laid out a good basis for it.  I will follow up.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)