You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

TRW Steering Gear Identification (Solved)

Thanks Michael we are not able to drive the coach until the adjuster comes and checks it - just to be sure it’s safe. I’m trying to get prices on the front end pieces so far identified as possibly damaged for the insurance company estimate. I know we have the Dana IFS but need part numbers for all the major componenents and the steering box. If anyone has a diagram of the front end with part number for a 1998 that would be great.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

adrian, is this a result of your runaway coach adventure?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Yes, this is - the coach apparently hit the curb hard and we are concerned it may have affected some of the parts in the front end - the steering box is leaking for sure. I’m also concerned with the rear end alignment. There is a big truck alignment place in Lufkin, TX that we can take it to but we may end up at Newell after the engine work is done (two weeks to replace the head gasket and machine down the heads - this is more for maintenance than anything else). I did notice that the NEW straps that I had installed on the exhaust where completely destroyed and the muffler was damaged with a big dent in it... I’ll have to get pricing on a new resonator also.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian,

The model number is listed in the very first post. You will NOT find a rebuilt one on the shelf because that box was specific to Newell. That's the bad news. The good news is the standard TRW rebuild kit works for that box. If I rebuilt it in my dinky shop, then any major truck place should be able to do it, or you could have it sent to Weller for the rebuild.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )