You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic fuel hoses and fittings

Old Detroit trick
Pump fuel back though
Return line when fuel coming back into the 
Tank all air is purged

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

I can plumb the electric pump into the return , sounds like a good way to purge the air . I wonder about the check valve near the tank blocking flow into tank ?
I do believe all this has to do with changes I made , either components or execution.
That said , the engine was down on power last year. Possibly due to the secondary filter .
All comments Very much appreciated!
Chris

Secondary filter on the right .    

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Definitely algae. After you get it running, you need to add algaecide. I have used Biobor Diesel Biocide with good results. Have a good supply of secondary fuel filters on hand when you use it. When I got a tank of bad fuel, I had to have my fuel 'polished' to remove the algae. Fortunately, I was in Newport Beach, CA at the time and there were several companies with mobile rigs that they used to clean up the fuel in boats that were available to come to my site. I still carry extra secondary fuel filters in the same bay as I store the biocide just in case.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Just thinking out loud here. Is it possible you fouled the new filter already?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I haven't checked the new filter , but I can connect the electric pump to the hose going to the pump from the primary filter , put electric pump inlet line in a container of fuel and engine runs great . Will also run with fuel plumbed to inlet of primary and into the container of fuel . 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

One of the things about 213 stratoflex hose (or any self assembled fitting) is the possibility to cut a “flapper”.  When screwing the tailpiece into the threaded part that is screwed onto the outer part of the hose ( I’m lacking the correct name for the second part of the two piece field assembled fitting), you can cut a sliver of the rubber interior into a perfect flap that acts as a check valve.  Admittedly, I haven’t followed every step of your project but if you think there is a problem with fuel flow and it involves a hose you have worked on then you check each piece.  Use your portable 12v pump or manual pump and isolate each piece and try to move fuel through it in the direction of flow.

One other thing I didn’t mention, when changing filters remove only one filter at a time.  Pre fill , install and run engine enough to guarantee flow then shut down, remove the second filter doing the same thing.

Hope you can resolve this issue.
Gordon

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

I wanted to report the latest on my fuel system misadventure, will try to be brief . 
I made two mistakes early on in the installation of the new fuel /water separator ( copy of parker/Racor 1000) .
One : The fuel hoses come down from the top of the compartment , one appears to go forward to the tank , the other toward engine compartment . I connected them to the new separator based on this false assumption ( the hoses actually cross each other near the centerline of the coach ) more on this later .
Two : It seemed that there might be too much restriction from the filter element , so I removed it . Another false assumption .

After studying photos and the old separator , I realized the fuel hoses might be backwards at the separator , and sure enough , they were . Rotated separator 180 , reconnected . Filter element still out . This was maybe a week or so ago .
Cut to Saturday afternoon . Plumbed electric pump to outlet on fuel tank , it easily picked up fuel and filled a 5 gallon container pretty quick . Looked again at Richard's words . Time to return to basics , logic . What changed between working and not ..
Started reading the Parker manual I downloaded ( HanLv doesn't send anything ) , word for word . Came across a bold lettered warning : Do not operate with filter removed , fuel flow will be blocked . 
There is a spring loaded deal on the tube inside the separator that moves up , blocking a hole in the tube when filter is out . Sure enough , it's difficult to blow through with filter out , but filter in there is little resistance .
Put everything back together , made a couple attempts to get fuel flowing , no dice . 

Dug out the old Aviad oil pump I ran on the racer for years until going to dry sump 20 years ago . The Aviad is a gear pump , one inch gears . Tried it first connected to the hose from the tank , outlet in a can , spinning pump with cordless drill . Pumped about four gallons into the can quickly . Moved to the hose from separator , disconnected it from primary filter , hooked up the Aviad pump to the hose . Wouldn't pull fuel . Put several oz ATF in pump inlet , started pumping fuel immediately .
Connected fuel hose back to filter quickly . Primed system by pumping fuel into secondary filter with electric pump . 
Started engine , idled until it warmed up . Would hold at fast idle with light throttle , sounded good . Ran for 25 minutes , all good .
Started this morning with no priming , etc . Ran for 15 minutes , all good again . 
I am guardedly optimistic , will do more start ups before venturing out . 

Connecting the hoses backward started this whole thing , chasing rabbits down holes . 
Thanks for all the input , much appreciated . 
I will update as it happens .
Thanks to you all,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

This is great news, thanks for letting us know that you are back in business.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )