You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Series 60 fuel/starting problem

This site is always my first place to search with a problem. Thanks in advance to all the smart folks that share here.

I'm loosing prime on the Series 60. When you crank the engine, the fuel leaves the Davco and the engine stalls out. If you leave and come back the next day, the Davco has fuel again.

To prime, I take off the Vent cap, fill with fuel, crank the engine and shut it off before the fuel leaves the glass. I repeat this process several times until it finally keeps the fuel at the proper level in the Davco. But once I shut down, the next day the problem repeats itself.

I took it to Detroit Diesel over a year ago and they claimed it was fixed. They took off the device that is supposed to line up fuel molecules (?? a small Coke can sized thing bolted to the motor, they said it was the rage when my coach was built) and replaced a fuel line and said all was well. But, here I go again.

It seams to me like some sort of clog in the fuel intake line. Any ideas on what to check or try? Meanwhile, we're stuck at home!!!

David

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

The first thing I would check is the o ring on the Davco cap. If it does not seal then the level will drop when the engine starts.

The second thing I would do is disconnect the fuel line to the Davco, have someone crank the engine and evaluate how much fuel comes out.

Report back what you find.....................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I had the same thing and it was the oring on the davco fuel filter

The big one not the cap for me

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Well, I changed out the fuel filter this morning. Checked and cleaned all surfaces. Put it back together and she cranked and held fast idle for 10 minutes. I still have very small bubbles coming up, but the fuel level held. Couple of notes: I filled the filter with fuel and after cranking, it remains at the change filter line. I was thinking it would go down to a new filter level, but it didn't. Second, the black knob on the fuel tank (which I never knew what it was), when turned counter clockwise, the knob comes off. I see a spring mechanism, so I guess it's stuck. How do you un-stick it? Nice tip, btw.

So, I'll give it 24 hours and see what happens tomorrow.

David

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

that black handle is a primer pump for your fuel system. turning counterclockwise is just unscrewing the handle off

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

David,
Do you have a Davco manual?  You need to familiarize yourself with the changing a filter procedure & priming the fuel system.  The small bubbles are normal, but the fuel does not drop on its own to the new filter level.  You did not follow the priming of the fuel system procedure.

Knowing the procedure for properly changing the Davco fuel filter is something EVERY Newell owner should know how to do as getting dirty fuel is something that can occur at any time and leave you stranded on the side of the road.  Once you have changed the filter a few times and have the needed inexpensive tools, you can perform this in 10 minutes anywhere.

http://www.davco.com/forms/tech/F1271.pdf   Instruction for filter change on page 16.  Then you have to prime the fuel system--page 7.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve - I didn't do the last step.

Tom - How do you use the primer?

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

OK, 24 hours later I start the engine. The fuel drains from the glass and the engine starts to stall. I shut it off, and instantly the glass fills with fuel. Weird. Crank again and it seems fine. Lots of little bubbles though.

David

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

That little coke can sized thing on the side of the engine is supposed to take out any small bubbles.  Sounds like you are sucking a small amount of air somewhere.  Did you put a small amount of oil on your Davco o rings when you reassembled?  If not start there.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(07-15-2018, 01:20 PM)rheavn Wrote:  That little coke can sized thing on the side of the engine is supposed to take out any small bubbles.  Sounds like you are sucking a small amount of air somewhere.  Did you put a small amount of oil on your Davco o rings when you reassembled?  If not start there.

I did. I wonder if there is a check valve that needs replacing somewhere.

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513