You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Basement Air Conditioner

Build a platform to slide the unit onto. Carefully bend the copper lines.

The problem with the condenser fan motor is the bronze bearings wear and lose their lubrication over time. Then the motor has a hard time starting. The telltale signs are rattling motor and compressor amperage that starts out normal and climbs as the compressor runs. The compressor is building high head pressure because the refrigerant is not being cooled and condensed.

The motor is an unusual RPM, but this replacement is proven to work. You do have to cut the shaft length. Short work with a side grinder. http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4945

After seeing how common this failure is, I would replace the motor in all three as a preemptive strike against my wife being hot and miserable. Cause when momma is miserable…………..

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I'm curious about @"BusNit"'s comment...

Are you suggesting that Alumiconn connectors are not good because aluminum wire is subpar (vs Copper)? Or that Alumiconn connections are inferior to solder?

I would strongly disagree with both of those statements. Alumiconn mechanical connections will far outlast solder, include intrinsic error-free shielding, improve in benefit as you increase the number of conductors, and are far better for joining various mismatched wire (which, when in this situation, should never be soldered -vs- a mechanical connection).

I'm betting I read that wrong; however, I thought it might be good to clarify for others reading the post, particularly considering so many layman believe that solder is superior to mechanical connections, despite being objectively, and demonstrably false. From the standpoint of science/engineering -- solder is a dissimilar metal that degrades and suffers far more issues than nearly ever alternative professionally-made connection.