You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1990 bathroom vent sky light

Looks like my bathroom vent has seen better days. The seal is brittle an hinges seem to be degrading. an by degrading i mean the plastic hinges/supports are starting to turn to powder as the plastic/poly/resin breaks down.  

Before a hinge breaks and or seal starts leaking im gonna replace it. Also upon roof inspection the exterior seal/chaulking has seen better days. So its time.....

Very tough to read any numbers on the inside window. Newell service parts says its a 17.3125, Or something close to that. And was most likely they dont have a direct replacement. waiting on a return call with more info.

If i cant find a direct replacement i was thinking of making the opening slightly bigger to accommodate a new vent. instead of going down in size.(then having to fabricate a plate to make up the difference in smaller size. less things to seal)

Was thinking of getting a vent with a fan. What have you used as a replacement? best exterior chaulking/seal to use?

appreciate the responses.

when i had my 90, i bought what newell told me was the last complete skylight like you are talking about that they had. that was probably 7 -8 years ago. i do not think you will find one exactly like it. that said, just measure the opening and find one that fits. even though the corners are rounded, i believe the framed out opening is square. but you would have to confirm that.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

thanks for the reply tom. Problem is all ive been finding is basically 14x14 replacements. the inside opening is basically 19-1/2". i would then have to fabricate a 24x24 roof plate an cut out hole for 14x14 vent. then garnish an clean up, trim out an finish the inside to look presentable.

thinking about putting a 22" escape hatch vent. or a hatch used on boats. alot of marine hatches to choose from.

ended up orderding a lewmar low profile deck hatch. size 60. cutout made for a 20x20. update over the weekend, if it ever stops raining...