You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

'02 four slides $229K

New coach on the market in LA.

http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Re...chMethod=1

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I talked to the owner a few days ago. It has 154k miles. He said it had been neglected and needed a lot of work when he got it. He said he would rate it a 7. I put it on the back burner and I'm still looking. It looks good in pictures.

Let's see if I get this right. THE OWNER rates it a seven and asks top dollar. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMHuh

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

And I got the impression it still had work that needed doing......that's why I didn't call back. We talked 30 minutes but I didn't come away with a good feeling.

A word to the wise: check the date that the pictures were taken!Huh

Sometimes there is a date in the corner of the photo. A lot can change in a few years.

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

a slightly different perspective. it just depends on price, what you are willing to do and live with and how much time (and $) you are willing to put into it. i bought my 02 at the right price for me to put alot of TLC into it. and i am still putting tlc into it. granted i go overboard on things, but i ended up with quite a nice coach. not as perfect as many others i have seen, but using steves 5 foot and ten foot rule, good enough for darlene and i. but i am probably on the extreme edge of what i am willing to take on as a project. when i am totally done, i will have a very fine newell and not be broke financially.

i am not one to be turned off to a coach because of mileage and genny hours. my 02 has 200k miles and 9000 hours on the genny. (it was a race coach). but i did have all the brakes and axles done as needed. meaning making sure all calipers worked right, brake pads where needed, a bearing or two and seals. i have tried to make sure that as much as possible, the things that can wear out are either inspected, serviced or i am aware of them.

most prospective newell owners want to get a coach that needs next to nothing for work and just worry about batteries, tires and AV upgrades. I was perfectly fine with needing to do much more than that. (and i didnt know all i would need to do, but it all turned out ok so far). those that have seen my 02 know it is nice, but not perfect. but it is "ours" meaning darlene and i have put our personality into it. doing a little upholstery here and new gadgets there and the custom bed we made (thanks to my buddy garry) and such. still things to be done.

but....to make all that work, you cant pay top dollar and then have to do tons of work. it all should correlate to each other.

my 90 didnt really need much when i bought it over 5 years ago, but i spent a ton of time doing upgrades and such that were not required but i wanted to do. i ended up with something that is quite amazing for a 23 year old coach.

but if you have followed my adventures on both my newells, you will know i am not afraid to tackle anything. but i do know my limitations and pay a top notch diesel/bus mechanic where needed.

i also realize that not everyone is comfortable doing all of this and you need to get something that is in line with what you have the time and willingness to do.

the great thing is that we all help each other when the call or email or posting comes. whether it be on buying a coach or fixing something that has come up (and it will).

my last comment is that looking is half the fun. looking and dreaming about the next coach is a blast and i loved doing it. enjoy the search

later

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I agree with Tom on the search for something as rare as a Newell that meets your wants & desires is a lot of fun. While I looked at some Newells that were not for me, I took something from all of them that allowed me to know when I found the coach for me. I will admit that I have found one thing more fun than the search for our Newell----------------and that is owning our Newell! It is a pleasure to own such a unique and incredible machine. Neither Suzy nor I would change anything on our Newell even though we didn't get everything that we thought was important during our search. An added bonus to owning a Newell has been the incredible Newell owners we have met & now can call friends! We are really looking forward to Spearfish & meeting more owners.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(02-27-2013, 07:33 AM)tuga Wrote:  A word to the wise: check the date that the pictures were taken!Huh

Sometimes there is a date in the corner of the photo. A lot can change in a few years.

That is very true, Tuga. I can see the difference in my own coach when it sits outside for just a few weeks without washing every few days. However, I do publish current photos and think my coach Shows as advertised!!

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin