You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

dc exhaust fan over oven

This fan just started running backward lately. There is only 1 hot lead going to the fan +12.5v. The second wire from the fan goes directly to ground. I replaced the switch with a smaller unit with an LED indicator light. I tried bypassing the switch, no difference!! I am confused & frustrated. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Silver 8v92/Allison 4 sp.
Toad: 2007 HHR
Life is a Highway.

Did it start running backward right after the switch change?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(01-05-2013, 05:38 PM)folivier Wrote:  Did it start running backward right after the switch change?

Yes it did, I replaced the switch with the old one but the fan continued to run backward.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

I may be mistaken, but I recall from other motorhomes that these fans have bi-directional switches. I may be that an incorrect switch was installed. I would photo mine, but it is too hard to get to.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

(01-06-2013, 10:43 AM)Chester Stone Wrote:  I may be mistaken, but I recall from other motorhomes that these fans have bi-directional switches. I may be that an incorrect switch was installed. I would photo mine, but it is too hard to get to.

Thanx you Chester but this particular switch is just off/on. The only difference between the original switch and the new switch is that the new one has an LED light when the switch is in the "on" position.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

Can you be more specific about when the problem started. The original post said "lately". Do you mean on its own? After the switch change?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(01-06-2013, 05:47 PM)Richard Wrote:  Can you be more specific about when the problem started. The original post said "lately". Do you mean on its own? After the switch change?

Definitely after the switch change. I was installing a new tank monitoring system which required smaller switches than stock. When I changed all 4 switches everything worked well except the exhaust fan, which ran backward. Since then I have disconnected all the switches and bypassed the exhaust fan switch, but still runs backward. There is only one wire to the fan which is power (+12.5vdc)
Finally had to remove the motor, checked it by attaching directly to battery. STILL RAN BACKWARD! Even the direction indicator arrow on the body of the motor says it is operating backward. Had to reverse the leads to make it run correctly. Anyway, my frustration is at bay but my mind continues to think WHY? Must be some problem internally.
Thanx for listening.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

For some reason the polarity of the permanent magnets may have been disrupted. I would first try to switch pos and neg to the motor. Another thing I would try is running a ground wire direct to battery.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.