You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Pilot and Co Pilot Seats

I talked to Recaro a few years ago about obtaining a couple of their seat belt integrated seats. They refused to sell me any unless a strength pull test was conducted on the mounting structure to verify it would support the forces needed in an accident.

If you wish to accept the liability of doing your own engineering you can obtain used seats from truck, rv, and bus part recyclers. Personally, the only way I could be comfortable doing that would be to replicate what was done on a similar Newell, structure wise. I really would rather not do a face plant on the windshield accompanied by the seat, that would improve neither my looks nor my mood.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Planning on replacing my passenger seat with a Knoedler to match the driver’s seat. Current passenger seat has an integrated shoulder harness and the Knoedler will not. How would one go about creating a shoulder support attached to the coach like I have in the driver’s side?

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Hmmmmmm, just thinking out loud in public here.

The trick is locating the aluminum structure behind the wall. A stud finder may or may not find it.

You really don’t want to randomly drill holes. You might carefully remove the wall paper to see if there is a screw line where the plywood is attached to the aluminum structure.

Once the structure is located, use a 1/2-13 Rivnut for your mounting.

I am basing my comments on the remodel I did some years ago where I replaced the wallpaper. The mount for my shoulder belt was simply a rivnut in the plywood. I assume it was attached to structure underneath the plywood.

Perhaps Newell did it differently in later years.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Something like this might find the screws Richard is talking about: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084ZY...UTF8&psc=1

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Might be back to the drawing board. Newell says there is no structure built in for a shoulder strap. I didn't question further about what it would take to remove plywood, create the structure to mount it to, etc. Obviously then we'd have to re-wallpaper that wall or something. Does not sound like there is a relatively simple solution to my dilemma.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

I suspect the selection is limited but there are seats available that have the shoulder harness built in. https://www.ebay.com/itm/265325306761?ha...Swa0ddlm4O

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I tried to get seats with shoulder belts built in. No one will take the liability to even sell you those seats unless the manufacturer had built the coach with the reinforcements in the chassis.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

My coach 1482 originally had Knoedler Air Chief seats and wall mounted seat belt and shoulder harness on both sides.  Previous owner had Newell remove the pax Air Chief and install a Villa seat with integral seat belt and shoulder harness.  Newell put wall paper over the original holes and installed a seat base for the new seat.  The Knoedler Air Chief is in a well several inches below floor level so the new seat base had to be taller than a flush mount base.  The seat well dictated the location of the new Villa seat which barely fits.  With the seat fully reclined and nearly touching the desk behind it, the footrest is nearly touching the dashboard.  Wife has ridden on an air ride seat without a footrest for 7 years and is very happy to have a footrest again.  She thinks it was a fair exchange.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

what does everyone do about no leg room on co-pilot side. We have a mid entry 4 slide coach. I have a Villa reclining style in there right now. My Wife who is 5' 6" has to put her feet on top of dash when extending recliner. Regards, Mike

Desk of Mike Figley USN Retired
Coach 776- quad slide, 625 hp cat
Toad-2022 GMC 2500 hd Denali 

I married a 5 foot tall lady but  I don't advise changing co pilots' as it is more cost effective to change coaches. Smile

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59