You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Pilot and Co Pilot Seats

Sure, you should be able to add a swivel base to practically any seat whether air ride or not. Just remember that the swivel will add an inch or so to the seat height.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I have bought seats from RV salvage outlets in Northern Indiana. There are a lot of places selling RV items. Some are over runs. Some have blemishes. If u have time to shop around you could save some money. The seats in my 93 and others I have seen typically have four bolts. The swivel or air ride is part of the base the seat bolts to.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

What happens when you have a different bolt pattern when you get new chairs with different bases? On my passenger chair the bolt pattern is 7"x7" and on the drivers I have an 11"x11" pattern not the 8"x8" that new bases have, I thought of building some type of adapter but I'm not sure if that will be the way to go or just drill new holes on the floor for the new pattern, what you guys have done in this situation?

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Drill, and welder. Not trying to be cute, but as I have changed a lot of the seating that has been my solution.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

That's what I thought, thanks for sharing that.

When you drilled thru the floor did you went through a metal plate? Now that I think about it probably my vintage is different than yours so I will have to find that out.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Floridian,
Yes you should drill clear through . If I remember correctly mine has plywood over the steel floor with foam spray on the bottom. The front seat bolts are accessed through the front wheel openings.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Yeah I've got a fun time finding were those nuts were but once you figure out that they are under the foam on the wheel openings it is a really easy job, now I'll need to find out how to align those new holes with the wheel opening so I don't end up somewhere else were I don't have access to, that will be interesting.

It is good to know that there is a metal plate under the seats because I've been reading some other RV forums and some of them need to reinforce the floor where the new seats are, if I have a metal plate already I only need a good set of bolts and I should be good.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

In both the 95 and 99, Newell had installed a steel boss to mount the seats onto. The boss is about 14 by 14 and has threaded holes. I assumed the boss was welded to the structure in some way.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I know this thread is over a year old but we are looking into something similar and wondering if anyone had an answer. We want to replace our lap belt seats with an integrated seat belt (ISB) captain chair. I can do the work so just need to know if there is a way to order New (not used) replacement seats with the ISB. I have read Newell can give the certifications if they install the ISB captain chairs but is there a way to do it on my own?

Mark and Melanie
1985 Newell 40’
#75 ? (still not confirmed)
First motor coach

There are a number of online sites that specialize in truck seating. Google Knoedler, ISRI, or Recaro professional seating and you will find them. I do not have experience dealing with any of them, so I won’t comment good or bad. Expect to pay anywhere from 1000 to 2500 per seat depending on how fancy you get.

Something to think about is how you will mount the seat. In an 84, as previously discussed, the bolts simply go through the floor. But, using an integrated seat belt means the force on the seat belt is transferred through the seat into those four bolts. Even with using fender washers, I would not be comfortable doing that. If I were going to use an ISB, I would install a 3/8 steel plate under the fender wheel to transmit the force over a larger surface area. The momentum of the combined seat and passenger in a crash would transmit a considerable force into the rear bolts holding the seat. You don’t really want them pulling through the plywood floor.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad