You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

A/C Outside Air In_Air Out

Coach 410, 1996, has a single front SCS on the PS in front of the entry door and dual rear SCS on the DS behind the house battery compartment. I found that the hot discharge air exhausts out the bottom of the coach. The outlet is located forward of the intake air which is located under the bottom of the coach and aft of the hot air discharge. 

So, the cooler outside air is preheated by mixing of exhaust and ambient air. On very hot days, both A/C's struggle. Sometimes, the thermal on the compressor opens or the circulation fan stops.

Cresly at Newell said they used to build a diversion duct for the hot air discharge.
OK. 

To test, I have placed a divider between the intake and discharge openings on the bottom of the coach. Efficiency of the system, lack of compressor dropout and cooler inside temps seem to be realized.

I am currently fabricating a mud flap material, flexible diversion system between the two openings. Hot air should be pushed forward and cooler air sucked from a cooler location.
Because ground clearance is so minimal, I'll see if the diversion dams will make it over the terraces at the ranch, dips into RV parks and alligators on the freeway. If not, at least I had a wonderful experience learning to accept failure.

I’ll post photo's later.

Wayne & Dahelia Hunt
1996 Coach 410
45' - Non-Slides, Series 60, IFS
2008 Jeep Liberty Toad
JW Pioneers and TravelFit

I agree Wayne, One of my basement condensors vents out the bottom right next to the air intake. I've considering trying to vent one of them out the side.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Yeah it’s a design flaw. I have also run a bunch of different trails with the ACs. If I raise the coach as far as possible off the ground I lower the discharge air temperature about 3 degrees

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks, Richard

Cresly at Newell said they tried two fixes during the years.

One was to fabricate a 4” deep, right angle, aluminum duct to send the hot air forward. Sounds like an upside down hood scoop. I guess that would make it about even with the generator mufflers, so no more loss of ground clearance.

The second was to cut a hole in the compartment door, install a louvered vent and revamp the interior duct to face the fresh air louvered opening. Then, I would have to match 20+ year old paint. Bringing in cooler, cleaner air sounds good. Cutting a hole in the compartment door...not so much. I'm pretty sure Newell will not consider this a design recall and offer a complimentary update.

Yesterday, I completed fabrication of a mud flap 48” from the DS towards the PS that is mounted between the bottom air intake and hot air exhaust. There are 2 pieces of mud flap material mounted parallel in 1 channel. This is an attempt to separate the two air streams. When completed, the forward hot air exhaust flap will rotate upward towards the front and the posterior cold air intake flap will rotate upward toward the rear. I ran out of time, so now, at ride height, both ride together about 1” off the ground.

There is better separation of the hot and cold air streams. Cooler air is coming out of the vents inside the coach, so the separation of air streams seems to be a slight improvement.

I did not get time to complete. We are heading from Texas to Nova Scotia, tomorrow.If this installation survives the trip, I'll complete in September. Hopefully, by then, there will be some helpful suggestions from the Newell Guru's.

Wayne & Dahelia Hunt
1996 Coach 410
45' - Non-Slides, Series 60, IFS
2008 Jeep Liberty Toad
JW Pioneers and TravelFit