You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Change Coach Question

Hey Jon,

Yes, I've been reading about your ordeal to upgrade the coach, but I would love to know why you decided to reposer your existing coach instead of going with a new one, was it money? The layout of your current coach? The features? What was it?

Jon K,

You have no idea how much alike we are in thought! The problem? Getting it across the table when the wife is the one on the other side of the table!  Big Grin Big Grin

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Jon,
There were several factors in the decision.
1. Rebuilding the 8V92 for $20k+ would give me the same value that I had one minute before it seized up.
2. An I6 four stroke with electronic ignition and 6 speed transmission is an improvement over a mechanical V8 two stroke with a 4 speed transmission (my opinion). Since it's a 1986 I don't have to go with the later EGR motors. Savings of around 1,000 lbs in running gear. Potential for much better mileage. Makes it easy to replace most of the analog gauges with a digital dash.
3. I like the classic Newells better than any other motor coach built. The chassis is good for over a million miles so I'll never wear it out.

As far as wives go, mine gave ours the 'dog house' name.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad