You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

I"m new here!

Nice job!

If you ever in Eastern Iowa around Cedar Rapids and need a place to stop let us know.

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

From one Classic owner to another......WELCOME!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

@"Nebraska Neweller", do you tow your 2010 Land Rover LR4 behind your coach? I bought a 2004 Range Rover HSE to tow behind mine, and was curious how you keep your battery charged.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Jon

I do not tow the LR4 but would if I knew how to make the electronic all wheel drive go in to neutral? I don't think its possible. Technology?

I'm considering buying an old Discovery 2 to use as a flat tow vehicle because it has a manual transfer-case and can be shifted in to neutral.

I have actually moved the bus with the LR4 as a test to see if I could pull the bus. The bus is not that hard to pull in neutral. My thinking is that if I have a problem with the Bus I could actually move it to a parking lot if necessary. I can make the brakes work because I have a 110 volt air compressor that will provide air to the system.

1984 Newell Coach DD8V92
2010 Land Rover LR4
1973 Porsche 911T Targa
2005 BMW K1200S

I check with http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/ to see which vehicles can be towed four wheels down. I don't see your LR4 listed, so it probably can't be towed 4 wheels down without disconnecting your drive shafts.
On my 2004, it's a matter of following the procedure and inserting a fuse. I put a fuse tap on fuse 37 and installed a LED rocker switch in the console so that I don't have to physically do anything except flip the rocker switch.
This is from the manual:
RECREATIONAL/MOTORHOME TOWING
If you intend to tow your vehicle behind a motorhome or recreational vehicle, follow the procedure specified for ‘TOWING THE VEHICLE ON FOUR WHEELS’. Failure to follow this procedure may result in damage to the transmission.

TOWING THE VEHICLE ON FOUR WHEELS

WARNING: ALWAYS adhere to the following procedure when towing the vehicle with all four wheels on the ground. Failure to do so could result in unintended vehicle movement or unanticipated vehicle conditions. When preparing to tow the vehicle on four wheels, it is essential that neutral is selected on the transfer gearbox - before attempting to select transfer neutral, ensure that the parking brake is properly and securely applied.

WARNING: DO NOT remove the key or turn the starter switch to position ‘0’ while the vehicle is in motion.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Your vehicle has permanent four-wheel drive and is fitted with a steering lock. The following instructions must be carried out carefully to prevent damage to the vehicle.

CAUTION: Leaving the starter switch in position ‘I’ or ‘II’ for extended periods will put a draw on the battery, which can lead to a voltage drop and ultimately to a discharged battery.

1. Secure the towing attachment from the recovery vehicle to the front towing eye of the vehicle to be recovered (see ‘TOWING EYES’, page 231).

2. With the parking brake applied, insert the starter key and turn it to position ‘II’.

3. Place the gear lever in ‘N’ (neutral).

4. Turn the starter switch to position ‘0’.

5. Insert a fuse (5 amps) into position 37 of the passenger compartment fuse box (see ‘PASSENGER COMPARTMENT FUSE BOX’, page 235).

6. Turn the starter switch to position ‘II’. The transfer gearbox will automatically select transfer neutral - wait until the message centre displays ‘TRANSFER NEUTRAL’. 7. Place the gear lever in ‘P’ (park).

8. Turn the starter switch to position ‘I’ (DO NOT turn the starter switch to position ‘0’). NOTE: The transfer gearbox is now in neutral and the steering wheel is unlocked. The vehicle MUST remain in this condition whilst being towed on all four wheels.
9. If required, the starter switch may be turned to position ‘II’, to operate the brake lights and direction indicators.

10. Release the parking brake before towing the vehicle.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Here is my Vin tag, someone painted it once so its not in good shape. I would like to know the number of my chassis. 

Can you explain why there is a different Vin tag in the engine compartment?

Ill see if I can get a pic of that tomorrow.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1984 Newell Coach DD8V92
2010 Land Rover LR4
1973 Porsche 911T Targa
2005 BMW K1200S

The interior VIN tag contains information required by the Department of Transportation: manufacturer, manufacture date, GVWR, axle GAWR, tire size and pressure, VIN and Vehicle type (MPV: Motor Home or Multipurpose Vehicle) and a statement that "This Vehicle Conforms to all Applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in Effect on the Date of Manufacture Shown Above". The tag in the engine compartment should contain the same VIN but the other information is different, ie the engine compartment tag contains The manufacturer, VIN and Lubrication Recommendations.

Although difficult to read due to the paint, the VIN for your vehicle is 1N9912380F1011018. It was the 18th Newell produced in the 1985 model year. Look for markings on the rear of any valance panels or on the inside of the engine compartment doors for a hand written number to find the coach #. It should be 78 if my calculations are correct that there were 22 Newells built during the 1985 model year.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com