You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Somewhere, my father is having a good laugh

Hello, new friends. The title of this posting warrants explanation. My late father was bitten by the RV bug while I was in college. His first cross country trip (Maryland to the West Coast) was completed in a 1988 Porsche cabriolet.  Because he hated spending a hundred bucks or so a night at hotels during this month-long journey, he made the dubious business decision (especially for a Wharton grad) to purchase his first depreciating asset, a 1990 23 ft Class C Tiaoga. That worked well for a year and he then upgraded to a 27ft Class C. The first of several DPs soon followed, ending with a 2013 Newmar Ventana which he had until his demise in 2017. I made endless fun of him for his self-described “trailer trash lifestyle” and the resources constantly dumped into his toys....that is until I used the Ventana last year for a music festival and several road trips to see my daughter’s college soccer games and then, too, became smitten with the freedom and wonderment of motor coaching. We (his estate) ended up selling the Ventana last year for a song, a decision I now regret. While considering options to replace the Ventana, I came across this community and the wealth of information about the Newell brand (I know it’s not Newmar; Newell is a different class altogether) from the many knowledgeable members. As an active member of Audi forums for several years, I appreciate the selfless exchange of ideas, problem solving, and good cheer that flow throughout the various threads. 

Because I have a rear garage that measures around 42’, I am searching for 40’ coach. This must the source of great amusement for my dear departed father who had a healthy appreciation for irony. I have identified two Newells for sale at this length: a 2003 and a 2005. By lurking around this site, I have learned a significant amount about the different engines (Detroit Diesel v. Cat C-13), steerable tag axel, transmissions, etc. I cannot thank you all enough for the content that is allowing me to make an informed decision. I look forward to getting to know many of you. 

Grateful Kev(in) ⚡️?

A great tribute to your dad!
Welcome aboard, Kev(in).

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Welcome and good luck in your search!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Well written.  You will find a great bunch of helpful people here eager to provide information to your questions.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Welcome Kev. As I am sure you know from looking at the site, Newells that are newer than 1996 and shorter than 45' are pretty rare (typically 2 or less per year). When you run across a coach you are interested in, get the VIN and check the fourth, fifth and sixth digits for the exact length of the coach, ie, 1N9426 would be 42' 6" (will work for all Newells since 1990). The two you mentioned, #652 and #748, are two of only 3 coaches Newell made during 2003, 2004 and 2005 that were less than 42'.

Good luck in your search!!

P.S. From 2006 through 2017 there were only 2 Newells built that were less than 42' (2013 #1471 was 40'6" and 2015 #1505 was 39'6")

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I hope you find the coach you are looking for. From your intro, you’ll fit right in

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Very appreciated but not at all surprising from what I have gleaned from this group as a lurker for the past month or so.

Michael, your knowledge of the history and builds of Newell coaches is Rainman-esque. What an amazing asset for this community!

The 2003 is at Pantera in Michigan and the 2005 is with MoT. The obvious differences (besides the $60k price gap) are the engines, flush windows, steerable tag axel, and generator hours (6000 v 960ish). I’ve read several threads on experiences folks have had with both dealers. Now I just need to decide if I’m shorting myself - literally - looking at 40’ers versus the 45’ers.

Thank you, again, for the kind, welcoming words.

Hi Kev,

I have had 3 Newell, 89,96, & 04. I was in the building business for over 50 years and I built a garage for my 40' thinking I would never have anything any longer. That didn't happen because my 96 was 45' and the garage was only 44 ft. My garage was built on a slope with a filled slab that was about 6ft out of the ground in the rear. What I did was build a 10' deck at the rear wall of the garage and move the wall out and installed a shed roof. The rear wheels stay on the slab with the coach hanging over. This has worked for me. I have had five motorhomes with the first ones being an Tiffin Allegro Bus and then Gulf Stream. Then for the last 16 years have been Newells.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Welcome , Kev!!! You'll fit right in with this bunch! I'm about 2.5 hrs south of Holland, MI in Northern Indiana. Feel free to reach me through my web-site if you want to stop in.

www.kimmellhouseinn.com

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

i dont care about lots of state parks and such so the bigger the better for me. the years you are looking at make it challenging to find a short one as you have found out. and the prices are not any less for a shorter one.

you will fit in with us just fine.

and feel free to contact me through my web-site as well. www.newellgurus.com ha and go see dean(hoosierdaddy) in kimmel. he is a great guy.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH