You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shifter issue

Hello,

1987 Newell Classic 
8V-92 Allison trans 4 speed auto

My shifter seems to have lost power. It will do nothing, No LED lights no shifting. Bus starts and runs.

It always worked in the past.

Questions:

Where is this system powered from?
Where does it tie in to the bus/ ignition.
Is there a fuse?
Where might said fuse be?

Check for power at the shifter?

Any tips where to start would be helpful.

It appears that there are many connectors in the engine compartment that could use some improvement after 30 years of service. None of them are marked so its going to be fun.........

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1984 Newell Coach DD8V92
2010 Land Rover LR4
1973 Porsche 911T Targa
2005 BMW K1200S

Based on your comments, I presume you have the Stone Bennett Air Shifter. If it is like mine, the red and white wire powers the shifter at the transmission, the orange and white wire powers the display and the blue wire goes to 12 volt DC. These wires should be found at the round 16 pin AMP connector at the dash. On mine, the electric shift power blue wire goes to the chassis fuse panel on the firewall in front of the copilot seat slot #2. I would check that fuse first. Just because it looks OK doesn't mean it is passing current. Pull the fuse and clean the contacts on the fuse holder.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Good News,

I found the issue preventing the shifting system from working. I traced it to a loose fuse holder in the fuse panel in front of the passenger seat. The shifter control panel is powered from the cruise control fuse in my coach. Interesting, that the fuse is labeled for the cruise control but not the shifting system. In a pinch, I would much rather know the fuse was for the shifter than the cruise control. Just a little bending on the fuse holder and I am back up running!

SO:

Clean and adjust tension on all fuse connections.

Mark new things that you discover properly so you don't need to re-learn what you just figured out last year.

Happy Motoring.....

1984 Newell Coach DD8V92
2010 Land Rover LR4
1973 Porsche 911T Targa
2005 BMW K1200S

(08-07-2018, 08:05 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Based on your comments, I presume you have the Stone Bennett Air Shifter. If it is like mine, the red and white wire powers the shifter at the transmission, the orange and white wire powers the display and the blue wire goes to 12 volt DC. These wires should be found at the round 16 pin AMP connector at the dash. On mine, the electric shift power blue wire goes to the chassis fuse panel on the firewall in front of the copilot seat slot #2. I would check that fuse first. Just because it looks OK doesn't mean it is passing current. Pull the fuse and clean the contacts on the fuse holder.

Really helpful information! thanks for sharing!

Nebraska Newell

I have an 1988 model so if there's anything you need to compare or double check with (in the hopes that we share some wiring or anything else) I can lend a hand in that department.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Thanks, glad to be of assistance.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

When my shifter acted up, I wasn't so lucky. I had to rebuild the mechanism at the transmission. (it was full of rust)
I was lucky enough to find
T. Anderson
T. H. Anderson Pump Co., Inc.
(800) 594-7867

He spent so much time on the phone with me & encouraged me to rebuild it myself.
He also sent me an electrical schematic.

My shifter has been working flawlessly ever since!

Attached Files
.pdf S-AP typical wiring0001.pdf Size: 594.9 KB  Downloads: 8

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

I took her out for a drive today for the first time since the massive paint project started. The shifter worked great.

Looking good.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1984 Newell Coach DD8V92
2010 Land Rover LR4
1973 Porsche 911T Targa
2005 BMW K1200S

Quite the transformation with the new paint! Looking very good.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com