You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

OMG ~ Can this many things really go wrong on one trip?

I'll tell you where mine are:
R-1 compartment-I drain this tank from the door of the compartment
Front of RR wheelwell-I drain this tank standing outside the wheelwell.

Front: I drain all of these air tanks from the RF wheelwell.
Two large oval shaped tanks-front brakes
One rectangular crossmember that runs just behind my generator housing.  Visible from RF wheelwell.  Services RF air spring.
One rectangular crossmember that is above the two front brake tanks.  Services the LF air spring.

Rear: I drain all of these tanks from under the rear of coach.
One rectangular crossmember that runs above my hydraulic cooler.  Services both LR air springs.
One rectangular crossmember that is just behind the rear end housing.  Services both RR air springs.
A large oval shaped tank above & between tag axle.  Services rear brakes
One rectangular crossmember that runs above the transmission behind where the driveshaft connects.  This one is two air tanks in one crossmember and need a drain on each side.  Services the left and right tag air springs separately.

All crossmember air tanks run from the left side to the right side.

NOTE: Not all of my air tanks had drain valves when I bought it. I removed the plug and installed a drain valve.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I think I have found most of them.  The first photo is the one above the rear end of the brake tanks up front, still don't see the one at the rear of the generator slide, I'll look again.  In the back I think I have found all but the one behind the rear end housing. How do you get to the ones in the back, I have the rig as high as it will go and can't get that far in. Do you jack it up beyond what the suspension will lift it?

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

"still don't see the one at the rear of the generator slide"

From the front of the RF wheelwell, mine butts up to the rear of the generator housing.  I don't have a picture.

" I have the rig as high as it will go and can't get that far in."

I raise it as high as it will go, crib it and I slide in between the rear tires.  Once under I can sit up.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Quick update on my progress.  If you caught my thread over on the heating section you know that I think I'm good on the Aqua-Hot repairs.  I received the fittings to fix the pneumatic cylinder on the waste dump valve.  I installed the fittings and new gate, mounted the solenoid valve to the bulkhead, hooked up all the air lines and remounted the faucet.  No air or water leaks that I can detect.  Waste tank is empty so don't know if I fixed that issue yet.  Fired up the engine and brought the pressures up, they seem to be holding a lot better now.  I'll do it again and document the fall more thoroughly this weekend.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

On my 93 coach the oval tank near the rear axle is the service tank and the two oval tanks near the front axle are the rear and front brake tanks. Don't ask me how having the rear brake tank up front speeds up actuation of the rear brakes because I haven't a clue.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Have you solved all your air issues?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Getting closer, got sidetracked fixing the Aquahot leak and replacing the drive axle inner seal and wheel bearings.  Still trying to figure out how to get the six bolts the secures the caliper bracket to the axle broken loose.  Need to remove the rotor so that I can clean up the bearing and seal mating surfaces on the axle.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

While waitng on the axle parts to arrive I got back on my air systems. Replaced the 12v air compressor and corrected the pressure switch settings. Made another pass listening for leaks with the ultrasonic tester but didn't find anything new.  Still need to install drain valves in the tanks that just have plugs.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

Happy to say that I think I found my current last big air leak. As noted in another thread, I rebuilt the unloader valve on the engine compressor which improved coach's ability to come up to pressure significantly but it was still taking much longer then it should.  I thought I had a leak somewhere in the left rear suspension considering it would fall much more quickly than the other corners.  I pressured up the system using my compressor and the service connection, put that corner up on a jackstand crawled under the rig and commenced to spray everything down with soapy water since I still couldn't hear anything.  NOTHING!  Removed the jackstand and began lowering the body which began to put pressure on the suspension and "Voila" the sound of escaping air.  Grabbed my spray bottle and found the culprit.     The front bag on the left end of the drive axle had given up the ghost.  After installing a new one (Goodyear 1R11-066) I fired up the engine and was at full operating pressure and ride height in four minutes.  YEA!  Just in time for our outing this weekend. Big Grin  Just have to get out there this evening and torque the lug nuts.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

Jack,

You might want to think about replacing the others. That one looked pretty aged.

One of the Newell quirks is that the coach wil sit on the tires of one of the air bags go Kapow on the highway. You can't even tow it.

You can block up the suspension to get you out of harms way.

Thanks for reporting back! Sounds like you are getting a good grip on the Newell mechanicals.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )