You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Towing a big coach

I have to agree with the 'no' head gasket blown theory. There was NO steam coming from the engine and NO water from the exhaust pipe that I could see (of course there was coolant dumping all down it at the time but I did not notice any from the exhaust only). I am going to highly suggest that they check the radiator core and even go as far as to have it removed and cleaned before we go any where close to the head gasket idea... I'm sure Bernd will know what to check - I do trust him implicitly but everyone makes mistakes and maybe his mechanic missed something.
I will be posting the TOW SAGA (what NOT to do) in a little while with a new thread...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

We discovered that BOTH axles should have been pulled since this transmission (rear end?) has a locking differential (switch on the dash). This apparently caused damage in the transmission and will need a rebuild. This seems to be a never-ending saga but I do think we are nearing the end. We have found all the damages and have reported them to the tow companies insurance company and have finally heard from their insurance company. I never did get a call directly from the tow company even to say ‘sorry we ruined your vacation and nearly caused a huge accident’...

BTW, the heads are being rebuilt and new gaskets/lifters/sleeves/valve guides (whatever else it needed) are being installed. So the engine will basically be new and the transmission will end up the same... I really miss my coach but it should run/drive great when we are done. I still need to find a decent replacement for the Howard Power Steering system...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Now THIS is the way to tow any large coach - the driver called it a ‘disconnect’, low-boy, bus hauler, bus trailer...  the rear end can be lowered/raised so the coach can be loaded either front or rear first - the coach just rolls over the trailer tires.  Very cool rig

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

I like that!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

The driver said these style bus trailers were fairly new - at least if I break down while we are in AZ I know who to call!

Karen & Adrian Abshire