You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Drive Axle Bearings & Seal

I believe I mentioned in another thread that while trying to find all my air tanks I discovered that the left rear drive axle bearing seal wasn't and I had oil all over the inside face of the inner tire as well as the two concealed faces.  The brake pads are soaked and there is a line of oil on the wheel well.  I just finished disassembling everything and this is what I found, the spindle looks like it has been hot at some time (I'm not assuming it was this time since the bearings don't look that bad)       and the axle doesn't look like it has been hot.       The bearings feel and sound good but have some discoloration on the inside face like they have been spinning on the spindle         The races feel good but the photos seem to show some wear.           I'm going to replace the seal of course (and the soaked brake pads) I just wonder if what you see here justifies replacing the bearings?  My inclination is to replace them while I have everything apart, assuming I can find the parts.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

The choice is always yours, but when I have something apart I always come back with new........................but that is just me. I don't like redoes.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I'm kind of the same way.  I have never bought bearings this big, do they come complete or do you have to order the bearings and races separately?

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

From the photos I wonder if the hub has been loose
I would vote for new stuff
Also check the fit of new bearings on axle shaft
IF they don’t fit tightly the seal will fail

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

i would replace them as well. my bus mechanic usually has all this stuff in his parts room. he just compares to what he takes out. i had the rear rotors changed last year and they were the same as prevost uses. so bearings should be easy to find

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Climbed under the coach (don't like doing that) and found the tag on the axle, I have a Meritor 23k lb unit with manual diff. lock and Bendix air disc brakes. Called Meritor to get the correct bearing and seal numbers, they are very helpful.
Outer bearing and race numbers are 580 and 572
Inner bearing and race numbers are 594A and 592A
Meritor seal number is A1205V2492
Bearings and seal are in their way, should have it back together late next week.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

Jack as a reminder please properly support your coach whenever you crawl under it. The air suspension can and has been known to cause the coach to drop quickly. You don't want to be under there if it does.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

i was working on my 90. i was replacing the air powered vacuum pump under the front cap in front of the drivers side headlights on the firewall of the first bay. i put in a 12v ford diesel vacuum pump. i thought it would be clever (and it was) to mount the pump in the bay so it was easy to get at and route the hoses through the firewall of the bay. i was drilling a hole from the bay side and all of a sudden.....whoosh....massive air flow and the front left dropped like a rock. i had hit one of the airlines on the front six pack.

man that thing dropped fast.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Don't worry, it spooks me to no end crawling under that thing. I raised it as high as the suspension would take it and blocked it front and back. Then I used a bottle jack to raise the rear as required to fix things back there, blocking it as I raised it. I noticed a couple days ago that it was crushing the top block were I jacked it up so I picked up some 1/2" plate today to put between the coach and the block to spread the load more evenly over the surface of the top block.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

Got tired of wondering if I was going to crush more blocks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide