You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Filter replacement schedule

After approx 20 k miles and two oils changes , I thought it would be time to change the air filter. That thing is giant !  Well , i ordered a new one, 200 plus dollars. I think I might have been premature, as the filter "looked" great. 

What do you gurus uses a a benchmark to change the air filter?

BTW , I just got a Blackstone lab report back telling me I am way premature changing my oil at 10K, but I don't think I will lengthen the oil change interval,

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I don't change until the "filter minder" starts moving up towards the middle of the yellow band.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

My 93 coach, and lots of diesels, has a vacuum gauge between the filter and the inlet to the turbo that shows you the peak vacuum achieved since it was reset. I keep an eye on it regularly, monitor my oil sample results and change the filter at least at the 4 year mark. This last one is because, with age and use, there could eventually be pinholes and I don't want to wait until silica shows up in the oil. Could the filter last longer? Yup, I've just gone with my comfort level and the proof I have at hand.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I'm with you Guy and Jon. Oil and filters are less expensive than iron!