You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Drinking water out of the tank?

We are boon-docking and I would like to make sure the water coming out of the little spigot we installed by the sink and the refrigerator are safe to consume.  I have one larger blue/clear water filter that looks like it is plumbed to filter the whole coach and also there is a 'water filter' valve on the water manifold in the wet bay.  I also have two EverPure water filters in the wet bay and have changed both the filters.  Can someone tell me from experience if I am going to or get Montezuma's revenge if I drink this water from the tank?  We have refilled the tank several times with city water directly into the tank (not through the filters). 
Please do not reply with 'I never drink from the tanks'...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I'll just tell you what I do and how my coach is plumbed.

I sanitize the water system with bleach after storage, every year if no storage or if any odor is present.  See below:

https://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/sanitize-rv/

I too have a large filter that filters all water coming into the coach, but mine is only for collecting sediment.  I use a external charcoal filter that filters all water coming into the water tank.  I'm going to add a water softener prior to next trip.

On my coach the two Everpure water filters only service the two small faucets at kitchen sink.  One is for pure water and other is for Instahot system.

I have never had a problem in my almost 40 yrs of motorhoming.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve. We have never had any problems either and maybe I'm paranoid but we still use bottled water and I would like to make sure the system is safe - I guess I could have the water from the tap tested. I like the idea of adding a water softener to the mix for the whole coach - where would you install it? My wet bay is full up...

Those instructions mentioned the hot water tank - since we have an Aqua-Hot would we need to 'flush it out'?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

There is no hot water tank in the Aqua Hot heater. There is a long coil of copper pipe in which the water picks up heat prior to going to hot water facuets. So sanitizing the hot water pipes takes care of the coil in the heater.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Thanks Rudy! You are awesome! I drank out of the hot water spigot this morning and am not dead (yet) lol ... will see later this afternoon... I am going to sanitize the whole system but need to be somewhere where I can empty the tanks out and put some Clorox in the tanks...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

I'm just going to set up the water softener outside before the coach water system.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Adrian,

You have already thought of this I suspect....but.....You will want to replace the water filters after the sanitization...otherwise the clorox will be willstill be in the system.

Don't forget your refrigerator filter.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I've always used and drank the water from the tank, but I do have an undercounter carbon filter.
But remember if you use a carbon filter while filling your tank you are probably removing the chlorine which helps to keep the "bugs" out of the tank. Also well water usually won't have any chlorine so if you fill from a well, same thing. Doing that it might be a good to periodically sanitize your tank.
But I also ate plenty dirt when I was a kid....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

we have a well here at the house and at our cabin. if the water doesnt crawl out of the glass on its own, i consider it good to drink

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I’m still alive so I guess our water is good - I think that is the Litmus test... lol
Thanks for the laugh Forest and Tom!

Karen & Adrian Abshire