You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Howard Power Steering Replacement

Is there a good/great replacement for the Howard Power Steering - I loved it when it worked but now it does not work any longer. I did a little research and have found mention of a TRW and Safe-T-Plus with the Henderson trim adjust as a replacement but am not familiar with any except the Safe-T-Plus system (we had one on one our previous and may have one on this coach but not sure)... If there is a way to rebuild the HPS then I would be up for that... Thanks!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

question is do you really need anything

it appears newell did a variety of things from nothing, to the howard system, to an additional hydraulic cylinder like on mine.

if you take off the howard, save the parts.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I agree. It did work when we got the coach and definitely was hit during the off-reading portion of the entertainment. I would like it just to work again but we could try without it and see.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

(09-15-2018, 11:39 AM)pairodice Wrote:  I agree.  It did work when we got the coach and definitely was hit during the off-reading portion of the entertainment.  I would like it just to work again but we could try without it and see.

I got mine to work but the inner seals of the hydraulic cylinder started leaking by. driving with the system working was easy to drive. It's still installed but trying to find parts to rebuild the cylinder is hard to do. I am also researching a replacement to give some stability to the steering.

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster

Ron,
Depending on where you are at, you may want to try & find a hydraulic shop that specializes in cylinder repair. You should be able to find one in an area that has a lot of industrial activity.

This is an area where I have some personal experience. I have driven with and without HPS and I like with better under windy circumstances. I hope I never have to experience it other benefit which is reduced steering angle rate change during a steer tire blowout.
Below you will find contact information on a company with experience in rebuilding the ram and the setup to test it. They are good guys and I think you will be well satisfied if you decided to do a rebuild.
Parts are very difficult to find now. While having mine rebuilt I had the misfortunate to have UPS lose it on the way to Texas. So I went on the hunt and was able to buy a HPS system complete that had been recently removed from a Prevost. Then UPS found mine!
I just sold the tank bladder from that system. So, I guess I am parting it out :-) I still have everything else, even the much sought after uncracked sight glass.
For me it was important that the systems supplied worked. I did not want to look at controls by the dash that no longer functioned. Good luck!

Contact for Guaranteed Howard Power Steer Hydraulic Cylinder Rebuild:
Jess Harper
Lake Tool & Hydraulics, Inc.
2801 E. Napoleon St.
Sulphur, LA 70663
Phone: 337-302-5737
e-mail: [email protected]

Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004