You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Front Bags Losing Pressure

I finally had a chance to check. I found a couple of leaks in the front 6-pack where the cylinders and the manifold join. How are these tightened? It looks like 2 on the bottom are the only ones leaking.

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

those 6 solenoid valve bodies are threaded into the aluminum manifold. they can be carefully tightened with a channel lock. helps to take the coils off. the nut on the stem just holds the coil on. it slides off once you take the nut off.

however, if it was me, i would take the valve body off and clean it, clean the manifold and put at the very least new o rings on it. it takes two.

i will send you my phone number. call me if you would like

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I had a very similar problem as David & Teresa.  Overnight my coach would drop equally on both sides down to the stops.  The difference was that my coach supply pressure would also drop to zero.  The rear didn't drop at all.

Using a spray bottle I found an air leak on the left front air spring connection.  This corrected the left front dropping.  I then found an air leak on the right travel valve on the front six pack.  Replaced the two o rings and now all is good with the right front.  The supply air pressure now stays up.  Problem solved.  Lesson learned is when you are chasing an air leak, never assume there is only one!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I'm still having air problems and now I can clearly see air escaping from the air bag connections. When I tighten the bottom, the top section with the 45 turns as well. I should have looked closely at this connections when they were off. Does anyone have a pic or explain how to tighten the lower section without moving the 45?

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

Can you post a pic. All newells are different.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )
Photo 

I'm assuming, with the coach raised and blocked, air depleted, that I take off the top bolt, tighten the bottom (this is where the leak is, and put the top back.

Also, yellow teflon tape or no?

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

Your use of the word "bolt" is a bit confusing to me, I will offer perspective on what I think you meant given the picture you posted.

After blocking up the coach, use the leveling system to exhaust the air from the air bag. Then, use a wrench on the lower hex in the picture to keep it ftom rotating while you use another wrench to loosen the hex just above the one you are holding. Once the elbow is loose, move it out of the way and remove the fitting from the air bag, do not just tighten it. Once removed, clean the threads on both the fitting and the air bag. Then apply thread sealant to the threads on the fitting that go into the air bag. Install the fitting and tighten it until it makes you grunt just a bit. Then, connect the elbow and, while holding the fitting you just installed to prevent it from turning, torque the nut on the elbow until it to makes you go softly "unh". The torque values are the ones I've successfully used. Air up the system and check for leaks.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Yes, that's what I meant! Ha. This mechanical stuff is out of my wheelhouse a bit. That's what I thought I needed to do. Thanks.

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

Most of us prefer thread sealant, i.e. pipe dope, over teflon tape. The tape tends to shred into bits and eventuall stick in little orifices in the air system.

You will make your life much easier if you obtain a crow's foot wrench that will fit the hex nipple, and one that will fit the Hydraulic fitting. I am not endorsing these, just showing you what they are.

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Jumbo-Crowfo...B00061SL7C

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks everyone. I just finished what Jon suggested and so far no leaks. I'll let the coach sit in travel overnight and see what's up in the morning. Hopefully, it will be the coach.

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513