You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

A Few Questions from a Newbie...

Hi Everyone! 

We are considering buying a used Class A circa 1996 - 2004, - either a Prevost conversion or a Newell. Coming from yachting experience I understand very well that initial quality is very important but age will pose problems and am prepared to deal with them. What I don't have a gripe on - is extent. My concern is not an engine or various house components (after all, pumps, heaters, plumbing, toilet, inverters, batteries, etc are very similar on motorhomes to what can be found on a boat). The main question is drive-train and suspension. Let say, I buy a 1996 rig with close to 200,000 miles on it. Would I have to immediately work on suspension? Airbags, control arms, ball joints, bushing, break air chambers - should I expect all of that to be end of life and in need of replacement? Are suspension parts for Newell readily available? Do they cost more then suspension parts of other motorhomes? Can any bus mechanic work on them or am I bound to go to Newell factory for service? Also, considering that I lean more towards simplicity then luxury (and associated lower reliability) are there threshold years after each Newel became over saturated with pneumatics and electronics? Do slides present a big maintenance problems when getting old? I mean, I would rather open a door manually then get stuck in a middle of nowhere troubleshooting pneumatics with no diagram. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, I found this 45' 1196 Newell for sale upstate NY. No slides. Does anyone recognize  it from the picture and can shed some light on its history? I don't have the coach built number. The VIN is 1N9450X82T1011403

Thanks you all so very much in advance.

Rosty

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In that era the last 3 numbers of the VIN is the coach number, so that is coach 403. It should have a Detroit Diesel series 60 engine with the Allison 4060 6 speed transmission. It also appears to have the rear "Hastings Hump", a raised ceiling height in the rear. It's also 45' long.
A couple big ticket items are the 8 tires and 8 8D size batteries (2 starting and 6 house). Those items alone if and when needed can easily cost $10,000. Other than that the apparent condition is important, along with any documented maintenance. After that owning a Newell is similar to a yacht. There is always ongoing maintenance.
Michael Day should pop in soon and may have info on that coach.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Check you PM's.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

In response to your questions, Newell, at that time, used a suspension that was similar to those used in over the road trucks. If the air bags have not been changed out, it may be about time. Brakes, depending on wear, could need new pads and rotors or they could be fine. That coach has Rockwell ABS brakes (likely on the front and tag axle) with a Ridewell solid front suspension. That was the 3rd 1996 model coach Newell built. If it has been properly maintained and driven, the engine and transmission should have many miles left on them but getting an analysis done on the oil and transmission fluid would give you better insight into the condition of the engine and transmission IF the fluids haven't been changed recently. Both the engine and transmission are electronic so you should be able to get some data off the engine computer as to any error codes it has thrown. Most heavy truck repair facilities are familiar with that drive train.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com