You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Gen set slows and stops

Update,

I replaced the 2 wire throttle controller that's mounted to the injection pump at $300 plus. No change

While I was at Newell, they diagnosed it as a "control panel" $663.95 including shipping. I ordered it, installed it, and with 2 hrs on the generator at full load, no problems. Issue resolved, but another problem was created.... See PS below 

PS: I ordered this control panel from PowerTech in Leesburg FL on 11/14 at about 3 pm ECT to be shipped to the west coast.  Later that night and through out the next 10 days, That same Credit card was charged over 90 times for about $8,800 and change in a radius around Leesburg FL.  I called 2x's to the PowerTech to have a conversation with an executive and was placed into voice mail. I left a message that said "maybe something has happened with my card at your business and that it was abused in your area, please call me". No return call, to date, 15 days after I notified them.

I have a very low opinion of PowerTech at this point.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

I'm having the same problem with my generator after about 75 hrs with the new control panel. With only a recharge load on the system, the generator will shut down, but first stumbling as it did last summer fall.

I now have the engine running at about 1,000 rpm and the generator. I seem to be getting a longer run time on the genset as I type, with both running. My neighbor campers at the Escapee's Escapade in Tucson, at the boondocking area, are patient and understanding, but I'm making a lot of noise.

Could I have a bad control panel again ?

If so, what would create a short life of this part.

06' Newell #784
59' Nash Metropolitan

Carpe Diem. Have Fun

I would change fuel filter for a start.

Well, an update.

The generator ran for 12 hrs straight overnight, after running the engine parallel for 3 hrs to assist in the charging system. So what I am finding is the generator engine will die if the batteries are near 11 volts and I try and add a load like the range. So what I am doing now is, running the generator when the volts come down to about 12.0 while boondocking.

Are my batteries so bad that the BMS gets overwhelmed when an additional load is added while its charging ?

I don't think its the Fuel filters, because I have gauges on both sides of both filters and they all read no restriction. I have 5.5 PSI going into the pump. I did replace the filters about 75 engine hrs ago, and that didn't make a change until I replaced the control panel. Running for 12 hrs at 100 amp charging says its under its maximum load.

I can make it until Bella Terra and the Guru get together, then I hope to tear into it further.

06' Newell #784
59' Nash Metropolitan

Carpe Diem. Have Fun

Oh my. Did you intentionally run the batteries down to 11 volts?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I didn't intentionally run the batteries down to 11. But by the way you are asking, maybe I need to learn to reset the parameters of my magnum energy monitor. It currently shuts the whole coach down at 10.2 volts. Should that be higher ? Should I try and set the generator to start at 12V or more ?

After driving for about 8 hrs yesterday, I thought I would be fully charged again.  I was boondocking for the night. I woke up with about 12.2 volts and pulling about 27 to 30 amps and at times only 18. Not sure what was cycling on and off. No HVAC, no water, occasional compressor every 1/2 hr to 45 minutes, mostly due to air usage not leaks. The refrigerator does run most the time.

This morning I started the generator and it ran for about 20 minutes showing 12.7 volts going in at 100 amps. then 12.9, then 13.0 then it began to stumble after about an hour. It died, I went out and reset the switch at the generator and it started back up.  Then after about 15 minutes began to stumble again and I started the chassis engine and the generator stopped stumbling. After about an 1/2 hr I turned off the chassis engine off and let the generator carry the load.  It stumbled about 10 minutes latter and died. I restarted everything and let it run for about 15 minutes, I shut the chassis engine off, and now 1/2 hr later, generator running only, the Magnum says float charge at  13.0 v and +30 amp and is running fine (knock on wood).

I think I may need to update my batteries. I went looking for date stamps on my batteries and couldn't find anything. They are AGM, APEX brand. If my batteries were new, shouldn't I have 250 amp/hrs x 6 batteries =1500 amp hrs and then only 1/2 of that due to allowable discharge = 750 amp hrs ?  If I have understood this correctly then I should, IF new, have about 25 hrs at the average draw of 30 amp/hr ?  

I'm really interested in going to Lithium batteries if and when I change out, I'm just not sure I want to change the batteries until I know my recharge system is 100%.

The wife is not happy without some power.

06' Newell #784
59' Nash Metropolitan

Carpe Diem. Have Fun

Yeah, running them down to 11 is a sure way to decrease their life. Lifeline recommends 11.5, so I would set my low voltage cutoff at 11.5. That won't cutoff the items that draw directly, but it will help.

I would spend some time pouring over this. http://2cw8eb1vmmgg3g5i7jzt6upo-wpengine...Manual.pdf

The generator issue is a real puzzler. Do you know if the house batteries or the chassis batteries power the generator controls? I am trying to understand the conection between the generator stumbling and the main engine running.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Update: At Newell they took a look and said the Generator couldn't keep up to the old batteries and they need to be replaced. The existing batteries were a Asian import without a date and most likely installed as cheap replacements before a sale. I had them tested and none had a Amphr rating of above 1,000 and down as low as 950 vs about 1700 amp/hr per battery. So apparently the generator would only carry a load if the Alternator was helping to recharge the batteries after getting down to 12. ??? I'm not sure what the point upon where the volts needed to be for the genset to run with the alternator helping with the old battery set.

New AGM lifelines installed last week. I've unplugged the coach and let it discharge at the normal 15 to 30+/- amps. I restarted the genset after about 14 hrs and it started up and ran for about an hour without hiccup. at 100 to 103 Amp in bulk charge mode in the beginning. No engine and Alternator running to assist.

06' Newell #784
59' Nash Metropolitan

Carpe Diem. Have Fun

Update
control panel replaced
isochronous actuator replaced
Lifeline batteries replaced

3 sets of fuel filters replaced in the last 75 hrs of operation, 2 oil changes with oil sampling. Oil Sampling reports show no abnormalities.

Still stumbles and shuts off, unless I open the cabinet door and hush box and hold the primer pump switch on. It still may stop if I try and catch it with this switch.

I took the Coach to a Power Tech Authorized repair facility. They diagnosed a bad oil pressure sending unit, noting that the engine stops at 25 psi when the gauge says 25 psi. I picked up the coach, drove for about 1/2 hr and the gen set shut down. While driving that 1/2 hr, I noticed that the main breaker was off and the genset was running without load when it failed. I had no where to pull over and add load prior to it shutting down, but i see it wouldn't have made a big difference. Ps, that was a lot of money spent with the repair facility UGH!

I called and explained the issue to the facility immediately. They said bring it back. They have now changed the sensor the the oil Pressure sending unit reports too. Claiming its getting 60 psi all the time but the interior gauge and the protection limits set by power tech or Newell are getting bad information and protecting the generator by shutting down.

If the Genset is shut down warm, it will not restart easily, per the PowerTech shop. They have promised to figure this problem out next week.

I will pick up my coach today for a weekend trip, and return it for the restart problem.

I will keep this forum updated.

Going without a Genset anytime, especially summmer or winters, is a great start to a divorce

06' Newell #784
59' Nash Metropolitan

Carpe Diem. Have Fun

Update;
After the sensor was replaced, I have had about 12 hrs of all Airs and misc power draws without a hiccup. That sensor may have been the problem from the beginning. According to the Power Tech authorized service company, this sensor and its related shut down protection, is not a power tech Part and they believe its a Newell protection system. I'm not sure what it reports to, silver leaf (?), but my generator dash gauges are inaccurate for water temp, and oil pressure.

Hope this helps somebody else !

06' Newell #784
59' Nash Metropolitan

Carpe Diem. Have Fun