You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Headhunter pump not working ?

Here are my symptoms, 

Water ran low and out while driving and Headhunter stayed on for 3 hours, best I can tell.
Now with the tank full, the pump will turn on but only develop 10 psi, then drop to nothing after a 1/2 gallon comes out or so.
The smaller 12V pump was never tested or used, and as it turns out, will not develop any pressure. It may have never worked. the smaller Sure Flow problem can't be related to the HeadHunter/no water problem (i don't think).

When the city water is attached and turned on, I get great flows everywhere. I thought maybe that my Headhunter needs to be primed with city water pressure, so I turned on the HeadHunter only to see pressure spike beyond the gauges limit, about 100 psi. I open the outside faucet immediately and pressure drops down to the regulated amount (60 ish psi).

Now the pump will shut its self off with a Fault alarm if left on for more than a few minutes.

Has anyone had this same experience ?

$1,200 for a new pump sounds like a expensive lesson and a sensor needs to be installed to shut the pump off before a pump seal is toasted. Is there a place to install such a sensor ?

I'm not sure if my conclusions are supported by my symptoms

Your thoughts...

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

that happens to mine when it gets too low

to prime it you have to have multiple high flow faucets one. like the kitchen, shower and bathroom sink all at once. and it will prime and be fine.

try that first. turning on just one faucet will not do it

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(10-09-2018, 09:43 AM)DK on the road Wrote:  Here are my symptoms, 

Water ran low and out while driving and Headhunter stayed on for 3 hours, best I can tell.
Now with the tank full, the pump will turn on but only develop 10 psi, then drop to nothing after a 1/2 gallon comes out or so.
The smaller 12V pump was never tested or used, and as it turns out, will not develop any pressure. It may have never worked. the smaller Sure Flow problem can't be related to the HeadHunter/no water problem (i don't think).

When the city water is attached and turned on, I get great flows everywhere. I thought maybe that my Headhunter needs to be primed with city water pressure, so I turned on the HeadHunter only to see pressure spike beyond the gauges limit, about 100 psi. I open the outside faucet immediately and pressure drops down to the regulated amount (60 ish psi).

Now the pump will shut its self off with a Fault alarm if left on for more than a few minutes.

Has anyone had this same experience ?

$1,200 for a new pump sounds like a expensive lesson and a sensor needs to be installed to shut the pump off before a pump seal is toasted. Is there a place to install such a sensor ?

I'm not sure if my conclusions are supported by my symptoms

Your thoughts...
I had similar problems. in one case there was a rock caught in the outline line. removed that and it worked.

2nd thought: you have the Headhunter sticker on the side of the pump. In my case I sent the silver sticker to Headhunter in Florida and they send me a new pump for about 600.00. They told me that there were times the bearings and seals bind and you normally replace the pump.

It's a good company to work with.

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster

Mine would do the same thing if I let the tank get too low or drove with 1/4 tank or less. Like Tom said if there's an alarm light unplug to reset it then run it with an inside faucet and the outside faucet and that usually purges the air out in a few minutes.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Boy am I frustrated and feeling stupid .... Huh

Update; 2 new pumps were installed, HeadHunter and Shureflow. I used the sticker to get the Headhunter for $600. Once both pumps were in place, and tank was full, I went to prime the system. No water in the coach.

What I found;

The electric valve before the pumps was closed and not allowing water to flow to the pumps. I removed the electric operator above it and manually turned the slotted SS valve 90 deg. What I don't remember if I did it clock wise or counter clock wise. Now I have full water pressure everywhere.

I also have 2 perfectly good pumps and a day missing from my life.

What is the purpose of this valve ?

How do I know if it is "clocked" correctly ?

I just went to Auto fill and it won't fill. I feel this must be related to my valve.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

That is the auto fill valve

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH