You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Power steering reservoir filter

I just checked my power steering fluid because my last trip had me fighting the wheel. My fluid is low, it has never been low in the 12 years I have owned the coach. I looked in my Newell manual to see what type of fluid to use and it does not say, but does say the filter should be changed every 12 months. I take the top off the reservoir and low & behold there is no filter. It is a Ross power steering system but I cannot find any info on the reservoir or the filter it is supposed to have. Any ideas out there?

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Silver 8v92/Allison 4 sp.
Toad: 2007 HHR
Life is a Highway.

My owners manual has a similar statement.  My reservoir also does not have a filter in it.  I do have a remote hydraulic filter.  I change the remote filter every 15,000 miles.  I have always used a Mercron type transmission fluid.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i would say probably a mercon3.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thank you for all your suggestions. With help from Marcus, I found the filter at the bottom of the reservoir, held in place with a spring. Marcus & my filters were identical, Fleetguard LF634. It appears to be a very small filter for such a large size reservoir. I bought a new one and with some extra fluid the steering is back to normal.
Thanx to Newell Gurus I am back to loving my Newell.
Cheers

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

Glad to hear your problem is solved Jim.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Jim,

Can you share more details about the filter and the process of changing it?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Hi Bill
The reservoir has a lid with a built in removable dip stick. I unscrewed the lid & lifted it off to find a spring about 6" long. I removed the spring by just lifting it out, then reached into the reservoir & removed the small filter sitting at the bottom. I used nitrile gloves as the fluid can be quite messy. My filter had a large metal washer on top of it that the spring sits on to keep pressure on the filter. I popped in the new filter, placed the washer on top of it, then the spring & lid. Very easy actually.
Hope that helps. I have pictures if that would help you.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

(10-19-2018, 08:09 AM)djimellis Wrote:  Hi Bill
The reservoir has a lid with a built in removable dip stick. I unscrewed the lid & lifted it off to find a spring about 6" long. I removed the spring by just lifting it out, then reached into the reservoir & removed the small filter sitting at the bottom. I used nitrile gloves as the fluid can be quite messy. My filter had a large metal washer on top of it that the spring sits on to keep pressure on the filter. I popped in the new filter, placed the washer on top of it, then the spring & lid. Very easy actually.
Hope that helps. I have pictures if that would help you.

Hi Jim , I imagine you are chomping at the bit to get going south . I have never checked the ps level on my similar coach , where is that reservoir located ? Thanks Don

Don & Linda
1987 Newell Classic 40 foot tag axle, silver 92 Turbo Ddec1
Coach #146