You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Compressor PSI And Leaks

All,
Talked with Newell's Service Department today about the air compressors and leaks. Coach 1242 has a setting called "Ultra High" which is turned on and allows the air compressor to go to 130 PSI and then drop to 125 PSI before air compressors start to inflate. Does the air compressors need to hold 130 PSI? Does this 130 PSI adversely effect the connectors or the tubing? The inline air filter maximum air pressor is 140 PSI. Could the 130 PSI be the reason for the numerous air leaks that this coach has had? If the "Ultra High" is turned off the air compressors will go to 110 PSI and then shut down until the PSI drops to 100 before inflating to 110 PSI.
There is a RED light inside the coach that is on that shows "Excessive Compressor Usage". Today from noon to 6PM the air compressor had run 2 hours.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Any and all comments are appreciated. Been chasing air leaks since last Friday.

Reese Cantrell
Newell Coach 1242

Reese,
I am not familiar with the "ultra high" system.  My air compressor goes to 110 psi and shuts off.

"Does this 130 PSI adversely effect the connectors or the tubing?"

I do not believe that 130 psi will adversely effect your air system, although I don't want mine over 120 psi.  The 130 psi will make your air leaks more obvious and possibly cause any weak points in your air system to leak.  

"Could the 130 PSI be the reason for the numerous air leaks that this coach has had?"

Probably not the cause, but the 130 psi has made them more obvious.  I am inclined to think that the reason you are experiencing many air leaks is the age of your coach and the push in fittings used.  The push in fittings start to leak over time from the vibration of the coach going down these extremely smooth highways.  I advise people to replace all push in fittings with DOT compression fittings.  If you shut off the "ultra high" system and lower the psi to 110 psi does your coach leak at the same rate?

At the next NO Rally Rally we will be discussing air leaks and how to solve the issue.  As hard as I have tried I have not been able to eliminate all air leaks, but one can limit them to where your air compressor will run very little.  That is the good news.  Bad news is every time you move your coach more air leaks can occur from the earthquake condition our coaches go through.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
Thank you for this information.

Reese Cantrell

Reese,

I have a system similar to yours.  I do not use the ultra high setting.  I believe that may be for people who want to use the 110 compressors for filling their tires.  I use the high pressure bib at the rear of the coach that has its air supplied by the engine compressor.

As for the leaks, when I first purchased my coach from Newell there were many leaks.  I kept after them Newell until they finally got them fixed so my compressor only cycles about every 65 minutes and runs for about 60-90 seconds.  There was a 110 compressor air system modification for my year coach (2007) that they also did during my warranty.  My six packs had new solenoids installed, many new air fittings replaced, and my door air system was completely refurbished by Henry at Newell.  Thank the Lord for my two year warranty!

Richard has given some great DIY air leak find and fix classes at the no rally rallies.  He also has a special tool that can hear the leaks and better pinpoint the exact location.  

Sorry I do not have the magic solution for your current air leak problem but I would take your 110 compressors off the ultra high setting.

Good luck,
Oscar

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Oscar,
Thank you for your input on the compressor and air leaks. I had some air leaks fixed in January at MOT, Newell worked on the coach for air leaks in June, and now more leaks. There were several in the air compressor department plus one of the air compressors quit working. 

Reese Cantrell
Newell Coach 1242

Went to the coach and the "Ultra High" was off. The compressor would go to 120 PSI and shut off then the pressure would drop to 110 - 115 PSI and inflate. In the last 16 hours the compressor has run for over 8 hours.

Reese Cantrell
Newell Coach 1242

I know you are trying to find the leaks and dont need any additional motivation. That pump useage has two negative impacts. The obvious one is pump wear. The second is that a lot of moisture is being pumped into your air system. Please drain your tanks frequently until you get the leak under control.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
Thank you for your comment on draining the tanks. I turned the air compressor off this afternoon. What tanks are you referring to? Location?

Reese Cantrell