You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aquahot continuous hot water

Good point Tuga! If your water source is less than 60 degrees it will effect how hot your water gets. Especially if you are working off city water in a cold climate.

Bill,
Since you said you have replaced the mixing valve, is your water source constantly above 60 degrees? If not, I would follow Tuga's suggestion of filling the water tank, raising the bay temp to 70 and see if it makes a difference the next time you shower.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Ok, here is some more diagnostic information. I will give you the bottom line first and then show the data....

I started with the AH in electric mode and switched to diesel during the test. The water in sink and shower started off at 107F and quickly dropped to 86F and eventually got back up to 96F after turning on diesel. (Sink and shower were essentially the same).

The interesting part is the "Rudy test"....Monitoring the temperature into and out of the tempering valve. The IN and OUT temperatures were never more than 6F different. Starting at 64/66F and ending at 76/81F. THE INTERESTING PART IS THAT THE OUT TEMP NEVER GOT HOT.

The temperature on the AH unit essentially tracked the sink temperature.

The heater circuits come out of the AH unit further back and up. Those were HOT! 136-140F.

So...I am left with the following question...If the heater circuits get hot, but the circuit going to the tempering valve does not...does that mean that there are multiple paths through the AH boiler?

DATA
====
Outside ambient temperature was around 35F
Tankage temperature was around 70F
Sink temperature started around 107 and dropped to 86 in about a minute.
After turning the diesel on sink temperature recovered to around 96.
AH Model number AHE-120-02X

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Gang, just wanted to reply to Tuga's question. Yes, I filled up tank yesterday and was driving in 68F temperatures. Last night it turned cooler, but I have the heaters in the tankage bay turned up so that the water going into AH was at least 65F. (According to Tankage Meter in galley)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The hot water going to the mixing valve should be very hot, so I'll go back to my original idea. Go to http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/forum.php & ask Roger. He will answer very quickly & we will all learn something.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Bill,

Are you saying the temp of the coolant lines to the fan coils are very hot but the line from the tank to the mixing valve is always less than 100 degrees F? The two lines to test for temperature are the output line from the tank to the mixing valve (should be very hot as indicated by Steve) and the output line from the mixing valve to the coach (should be at set point temp of about 120 degrees F).

It helps if the incoming cold water is at 60 degrees F or more but that line is not a part of testing the valve for proper operation. It only impacts the output temp if 55 degrees F or cooler.

The Aqua Hot is rated at 55 degree F temp rise at a flow rate of 1.5 gallons per minute. Most shower heads meet this flow rate and water from the coach tank usually is warm enough to allow for a hot shower.

Asking Roger on the Aqua Hot forum is another excellent resource too. He is the very best.

Hope this helps you.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Rudy,

Yes. Exactly. I have posted on Roger Burkes site and am waiting for answer. Just to be clear....The pipes on either side of mixing valve (under burner) are both cool. The picture of the pumps with copper lines that go to the heaters are HOT.

Thanks,

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,
Just so we are all on the same page, here is our AquaHot line setup with the burner removed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Yup, that is exactly my setup. The locations labelled hot, warm and cold are all warmish. (the cold line is probably a little warm due to the bay heater and residual heat in the tank) But the other lines (the ones that feed the heaters) are hot.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Did this just start or has it always been like this?
Any chance that the tempering valve is stuck wide open?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

It has always done this. Newell has worked on it at least four times, and I always leave thinking it is fixed....but it goes right back to the same thing. Since the valve has been replaced I am pretty sure it is not stuck wide open. The weird thing is that the pipe going into the tempering valve should be hot....it is not. Its like there is something going on on just the water circuit that involves the tempering valve. The heater stuff works great.

Also, if the valve was stuck open, I would get really hot water for a while. During my test this morning, the highest temp that I got was 107F and that was only for 20-30 seconds at the beginning of the test. It dropped to around 86F during the test.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama