You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hydraulic Fan Motor Leak

Been there - done that! Richard said his just popped off. Well, mine did not by a long shot!!!
I'm the pickle fork guy. It took one that just fit with a long handle and when placed just right and hit REAL hard - Bang - off it came. I was so happy! It's a very big taper - easily seen - don't now why mine was so difficult, but it was. Good luck. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I was able to ‘easily’ get mine off this afternoon :-)  I ended up using a ball-peen hammer with a skinny wooden handle and then hit it lightly (or not) on opposite sides of the fan near the tapered shaft.  
Now that I can clearly see where the leak is (at the shaft side nearest the fan): 
Are all these motors/OHLA’s the same part or do I need to find some number on the motor or OHLA? 
I’m planning to use the aforementioned method of drilling two small holes and inserting a small screw then pulling out on the small screw to remove the seal - unless you guys have a better idea...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Read the thread again. The OHLA must be disassembled to replace the seals. The seal on the front of the hydraulic motor can be removed by the drill and screw technique.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard: There is a seal on the front of the OHLA, right? I pulled the big (19mm) bolts out of the OHLA but then thought maybe I should not pull it apart from the motor (and put it back together).
I will take it apart today and see if I can pull the seals out. I still need to order the seals though...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Where did you guys find the motor/OHLA numbers? Edit: I found the numbers on the pump motor on the end opposite where the fan would be located. (Thanks again for the pictures Tom!)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

i will be ordering the same items from Gulf Controls that Richard ordered.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Yesterday I spent most of the day pulling the big bracket system that holds the fan motor and OHLA (there is a little stainless cover plate that holds the bracket from sliding out if unbolted).
I replaced the seals in the OHLA as one of them were installed sideways and leaking.
I discovered a great way to seal off the hydraulic hoses to keep them from hemorrhaging fluid - use one of the heavy rubber gloves (mine come from Harbor Freight) and either put the whole glove on the hose or cut off a finger of the glove and carefully wrap it around the hose end. Then put a zip tie ABOVE the fitting on the hose to seal it off nicely. I literally lost about a cup of oil into my oil bucket! Of course this was after the fluid had drained down past the LOW level on the ATF fluid reservoir so YMMV...
My wife assisted me in starting the engine and testing the OHLA for leaks - NO leaks! :-)
I cleaned the engine bay all the way back to the rear fire wall (that was a LOT of fun and now I’m aching all over!) and reinstalled the OLHA - I used a ratchet strap and heavy plastic zip ties to hold up the motor while placing the bracket back under it. In retrospect a small X-style scissor jack would have been the perfect implement of destruction for this operation, but alas... So once I had everything
I tried like 3 times during the week to make an order with Gulf Controls and still need to call back and confirm with a shipping address! It’s my fault though because I had meeting after meeting during the week. I will re-order 2 sets so 1) I have a spare if it leaks again 2) to replace the set that Tom so graciously loaned me - I may just leave both sets so Tom will be able to find them for me if needed! My garage is a mess and I would lose them for sure...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Pictures of the process R&R fan motor

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

I think I came to this party a little late.  Tried to think of what is happening here. Are you removing a seal with wood or sheet metal screws? If so what a genius idea. I have never thought of it, and what a great way to not destroy the sealing surface.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

The Neanderthals that put the old seal in sideways destroyed the seal with a screwdriver trying to get it out. This was not my idea - I think Richard came up with it but yes, the small screws were a terrific idea to remove the seal. My advice is to make sure to put the screws as far to the outside of the seal as possible since the metal is very thin - my first screw just ripped right out; I used a bunch of #4 screws probably a half inch long - stole them from Tom’s toolbox in his garage (and replaced them afterwards) :-)

Karen & Adrian Abshire