You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Local Newell been sitting.... Should I buy it?

(11-19-2018, 01:08 PM)smagown Wrote:  That is not a '96, maybe an '86.

Oops.... I meant to type '86.  I will edit my post. Thanks

Let me know the VIN and I will tell you what year model it is.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(11-19-2018, 04:10 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Let me know the VIN and I will tell you what year model it is.

I could not find the vin number, but am fairly certain it is an '86 per correspondance with the owner... I called tonight and told him it was too far gone for me to consider even ifit was free.  I know he thinks it is worth at least 50k while I would not pay even 10k... It has sat outside for far too long.  It is sitting at his old abandoned business... I told him he should stop in and look at it as I doubt he has looked at it in several years.  He has no clue how far gone it is.  All he knows i that he paid 80k for it a long time ago when it was not as dated and in still in good condition.  His wife got sick right after he bought it and he said they never really got to use it much.  Am guessing he is in his 70's and may not be very mobile anymore.... Sad situation.

Having read your description of its condition after a brief examination I would have to agree.....even if it was free the costs and time needed to bring it back would be prohibitive. These machines must be used, and moved on a regular basis or this is what you get. If it had been taken care of and used it could probably be worth somewhere in the $20,000+ range, but now it is pretty much worthless. It is a shame!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

since your photos show some snow- probably not winterized, either.

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty-sold
Foretravel
https://groups.io/g/ErnieEkbergFlooring
Ernie Ekbergs Flooring on Facebook
[email protected]

i have run into the situation a number of times where owners remember what they paid for it and to them it is worth a fortune.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

That’s too bad, it would be nice to see this old coach on the road again being used as they should.
Sometimes (many times) it’s best to just move on and find one in better condition.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

The bummer is that I see it everyday driving to work. I have a '67 Ford Mustang restoration project for my wife 50% done and a homebuilt aerobatic airplane project 75% done. My wife reminds me of this every time I start thinking about some "new awesome project" lol. I can and have fixed/restored everything from a violin to a Porsche 911 to an airplane.... that said, at age 52 with grandkids, I no longer seem to have the time or energy to take on another big project.

but dang it... it is tough knowing that this Newell is sitting there rotting away 1/2 mile from where I work every day. Maybe someday soon the owner's grandkid will have to get rid of it for him.... If that happens, I will be very tempted. God help me. lol

I've been around homebuilt airplane projects for years, yuo know, the 90-90 kind; 90% done and 90% to go. On most significant probjects in my life, if I had known the real effort involved I would never have undertaken them. But I did and I'm proud of what has been accomplished in my life.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

That coach looks almost identical to our '86 . The vin is on the wall under the console at driver's left . When I bought #89 over a year ago it's condition was daunting,  but it fired right up , ran well and drove like a dream . But , it had new house batteries and all new tires . I felt it was pretty much road worthy , having recently made a 1300 mile trip . After much work we have now made three trips to the races pulling our 28ft trailer and are really enjoying the coach . People say it's the coolest thing at the track , peeling clear coat and all .
In my humble opinion,  if the green coach fires up , builds air and stands up on the suspension,  goes into gear ,etc , might be worth further investigation.  Those cracked tires though..
Good luck .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand