You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

engineer vs farmer

i am an engineer and my neighbor is a canadian farmer snowbird that comes down in the wintertime

he is also a mechanic.  

i have a case 480 tractor.  big boy tractor.  it has been out of commission for months sitting at a friends house who borrowed it.  i have been too busy with other things to work on it.  the last year i have had it borrowed out to several folks.  

so i picked up glen this morning and we went to look at it.  

symptoms were that it would start, go into gear, but the shuttle would not move it more than a short distance then stop moving. 

my friend who had borrowed it researched it and i did my internet search on all the things that could be wrong with it.  my friend even talked to a shop who said it for sure would cost 5k to fix.  

glen says start it up.  i did and sure enough it would hardly move.  he says.....did you check the shuttle fluid.  i said yes and i filled it.  he checked it and it was foamy.  he says it is low.  i say i filled it to the line.  he says did you do it when it was running?  i said i refuse to answer that on the grounds it makes me look dumb.  

we put a gallon of fluid in it and off i went driving it around my friends place.    i also noticed that for the first time in a long time it steering straight without moving the steering wheel.  before as i drove i had to constantly turn the steering wheel to the right to keep it going straight.  now it doesnt do that.  

he says, the front hydraulic ram for the steering is leaking and the shuttle and steering share the same fluid.  

to myself i think that all the internet research i did (to be fair to me it is a 30 year old tractor)  didnt say any of this and i had almost learned how to remove the bottom of the tractor....ha

glen says, there is studying and there is doing.  (or something like that)  engineers study and farmers do.  

i am glad i have glen around in the winter.  and now my tractor works again.  on the list is replacing some seals on rams and a new hydraulic hose.  and maybe make the brakes work again.   ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

By far an easier fix than most!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com