You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Murphy Beds

I'd love to tap the collective wisdom of this group - specifically about Newell's Murphy Bed option.  I've seen it offered in a number of coaches like this one https://www.newellcoachsales.com/default...lInventory and this one  https://www.newellcoach.com/default.asp?...dInventory.

From a "daytime" aspect, I really like the idea of literally having full use of a second living room.  The idea of mounting a large TV on the bottom of the bed (Mini theater if you will) and having an adjacent couch or pair of theater chairs seems really inviting to passengers when the road side views are...monotonous.   But I have concerns/questions I can't find answers to.

1) How hard are they (weight wise) to put up and down?  Are they counter-balanced, electronically operated or other ways "assisted" in their operation?   Could someone's wife do it without issue?
2) Why are they always just 66" wide?  We really like a King sized bed, but Murphy beds never seem to be offered any wider, why?
3) Elevation off the floor.  I did see one up close, and when the bed was down, the top of the mattress hit mid-calf.  Are they always that low to the ground?
4) Bed comfort.  Are you giving up anything in the comfort of the bed?  Can you accommodate a sleep number mattress?
5) Putting it up.  Stupid question, but when your DW sleeps under three blankets, do you have to disassemble all the bedding or is there a way to keep it all in place when going vertical?

Any info really appreciated!!!

Mark of SJC

Gee...I was hoping someone in this forum had first hand experiences with these...

Mark of SJC

There are folks on here that have murphy beds. Hopefully they will chime in.

The elevation off the floor is likely tied to the desire to not have to have excessively deep cabinets around it so yes, all the murphy beds I have seen in Newells are lower to the floor than a normal bed.

Based on the information I have, the most common bed size for murphy beds is 66x78 (extending mattress)(#1271, 1272, 1449, 1479) and 66x73 (non-extending)(#1213 and 1280). However, there have been a few with custom sized murphy beds. #1228 had a 72x73 mattress, #735 has a 60x75, and #701 60x73.

As far as disassembling all the bedding. As long as the bedding wasn't too thick, I don't think that would be necessary. I doubt you could have 3 comforters on the bed and have it close up. It appears that the beds are designed to fit into a 24" deep slide and even when placed in a 30" slide there is only about 19" from the inside of the wall to front edge of the bed when it is folded up against the wall.

It has been awhile since I raised one but I don't recall it being a difficult job as there are hydraulic struts to assist in countering the weight of the bed.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com