You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Procedure for not getting stuck

When will they finally make a Newell All wheel drive ? Tongue firmly in cheek

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

So are you still there waiting for the ground to dry out?

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

Thanks for all the help guys!  

I tried ron’s Bungee cord hooked to a pickup truck.  It sling shot right into the back window of the truck.  Anyone know a good glass guy?  Actually, just kidding.  I’m out with no damage.

Since I was pointed uphill and had already dug a little hole on my first attempt, I rolled back a few feet.  I waited another day for the ground to dry out... and drive out with no problems.

Lessons learned.  

1.  It’s best not to get in this situation in first place.  If you are gonna park on grass.  Find a level or slightly downhill spot.  Let gravity help you.

2.  I did not learn much about the locking hub.  What a smart guru pointed out was with the hub locked the coach will not want to turn.  In my case I needed to turn right away.

3.  Steve’s two day rule did not work but his three day rule did!  Time and dry weather are your friends.

4.  I did not use the “increase traction” button.  I was afraid of sinking drive axle.

5.  Finally,  if you followed all of this... see rule 1!

Thanks again for the moral support!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Yeah I pretty much sideswiped a huge bush sliding down a very small wet grass slope. I won't drive on wet grass again. Almost anything else is easier.

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

This has happened to us a few times. Before even trying to move, found someone with a 1 ton 4x4 and hooked up our tow strap. Gentle steady pull while applying throttle. If nobody spins, no grass is ruined, nobody stuck. I carry a 4" 50' tow strap and one can almost always find a 1 ton 4x4 in a campground. YMMV Mark

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

I wonder if my Jeep winch will pull my coach (or assist)? Does it weigh enough?
We almost got stuck (in a previous coach) in Denver after a long rain and had to leave the next day - we were able to get out (before I knew about raising the tag) but we left a HUGE rut and once I got it moving I was not about to stop... that coach is probably banned from that campground!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Wish I'd read this post yesterday.  Here we are spinning our drivers on flat ground after making the rookie mistake of not walking the route into the pull thru and just following the directions of a well meaning but not knowledgable, ignorant sounds demeaning, host.  No sand, boards, or traction planks available.

So rule 1 now passed we apply rule 2 while we wait for the ground to dry or rule 4 a tow truck with a winch and spade to keep me from pulling him to me instead of him pulling me to him. Thankfully were not mired just slipping and with the with firmly hooked to the receiver we should be out on solid ground without difficulty.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

Bob, also consider having the tow pull you out the way you went in. Use the hitch as the attachment point.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
Your advise was exactly what the towtruck operator, Bob, and I agreed upon. He set his spade into the earth and attached his cable to the safety chain hole in the receiver thereby avoiding all fiberglass in the vicinity. I put Boomer in reverse at his instruction and when the cable tightened he asked me to add a little throttle and it backed right out as he maintained the tension.

Now resting on solid ground with the knowledge that the 20k hitch is well attached and useful for more than towing.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

My procedure is NEVER park on grass or dirt. Did that one time and it started raining for days and had to be towed out of the site.

Michael and Mona Corrigan
2008 Newell #1248
2010 Mini Cooper S