You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Compressor on in storage?

Should I leave my compressor on when the coach is in storage? Or should I shut it off and let the seals deflate. I have been using an pancake compressor I have and hooking it to the “shop air in” port but wondering if that is necessary.

2011 Newell 45’  #1430

You should keep your seals inflated if nothing else to keep creepy crawlers out. You could use blue painters tape and tape up the slides to seal them but if you have power in the storage area then I would just leave it plugged in and use either air pump to keep the slide seals pumped up. You will want to go and deflate/clean those seals also.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

If I had the choice, I would use the on-board auxiliary compressor due to the air dryer between it and the aux tank. I would be concerned using a portable compressor with no dryer for an extended period of time.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Thanks for the info! I have owned this coach for about a year so still learning about Newell’s. I have not cleaned the seals. I had it back to the factory for service this fall. Would they clean the seals as a part of regular service?

Would a portible compressor put condensation into the system? The previous owner used a portable compressor that is why I started doing the same.

I have it in a shed with power and heat on at 50. I have not seen any evedence of mice but I hear you on the creepy crawlers.

Thanks for the help

2011 Newell 45’  #1430

You should be able to purchase an inline dryer/separator and install it at the end of the air hose, then install an additional short air hose with the fitting to the coach on it. You want the air dryer/separator as far away from the compressor as possible to maximize the dryer efficiency by letting the air cool on the way to the dryer.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

" I have not cleaned the seals. I had it back to the factory for service this fall. Would they clean the seals as a part of regular service?"

Before I move my slides I make sure there is no debris that will be drawn into the coach.  I also clean the slide surfaces that will be drawn inside when the slide is closed.  I also wax the slide surfaces that are drawn in by the seals occasionally.

On the other hand I have never cleaned my seals, nor have I ever heard of, until now, anyone cleaning their slide seals.  I have never heard of, seen or been suggested by Newell that the slide seals need cleaning as part of preventative maintenance.  My seals are original to the coach that just had its 20th birthday.

As a person who does his own preventative maintenance and keeps a strict schedule for the same, I would need more info on the slide seal cleaning method.  What product(s) and/or tools are used in the cleaning.  How often?  etc........................

"I have owned this coach for about a year so still learning about Newell’s."

I am just starting my 10th year of Newell ownership and I too am still learning!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Do you have Microphor air toilets? If so, you will want air pressure to keep the seals closed.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model