You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

our maiden voyage (tom and darlene)

i have spent months getting the 2002 all ready to go on a long trip. i took 3.5 weeks vacation and darlene and i, our oldest daughter laura and her two children (yea we have grandkids) willy and katy. 4 and 9 headed off.

i had spent a ton of time working on the newell but no time actually using it for what she was intended for. i dont think they were made just to work on...ha

we did 12 states, about 4300 miles. ran the genny every second we were driving (darlene likes it cold inside) and besides the arizona heat followed us for the first week or so. we did arizona, new mexico, texas, oklahoma, missouri, illinois, indiana, west virginia, kentucy, tennesse, arkansas, kansas.

had small issues but nothing that was a show stopper.

had some of the best newell mechanics work on my rig while we were out. richard, steve bare, jimmy, and a few at newell too while we spent a day there on the way out.

the 5 of us had plenty of room. there were lots of movies watched on the matching 43" 3d tv's and my oldest daughter and i rocked out streaming bluetooth rock and roll to the new kenwood car stereo.

i never did do a complete mileage, but i think it was around 7.5 or so mpg.

since i ran the generator all the time i subtracted 1 gallon for every hor i ran it and then figured the mileage. on smooth flat long roads it was nearer to 8mpg and closer to 7mpg in the hills or mountains.

it pulls the super long steep grades out of arizona just fine, though i did have to slow down to 45mpg or so.

i had the jake brake reprogrammed to come on in 4th gear and it is taking some getting used to but i like it.

i love driving the newell. it is relaxing and like driving a race car.

longest day was 600 miles and most were 400 or so.

we visited lots of friends and also spent almost a week with our son scott in dayton ohio where he is stationed at wright patterson AFB. we spent two days at the air force museum and it is absolutely amazing. i was in the air force for 6 years and worked on fighter bombers and i loved looking at all the planes.

some time with the entrekins who were a fantastic host, the same for the bares and the webbs.

the grandkids loved traveling in the coach and did extremely well.

now once the heat breaks here in arizona in the fall, i will finish the bedroom and other things.

thanks to all of you who have helped me

tom and darlene

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

It had to be a shock to the system to return to the work world. Anyhoo, Rhonda and I extend the welcome mat to all who venture to this part of the country. We live in Huntington WV, home of Marshall University. Huntington is at the intersection of Ohio, Kentucky, and WV.

We can't get your coach to the house. (Tom's laughing at that comment)But we will feed you and I do have a few tools lying around if something needs a little TLC.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )