You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Smoking Valve Cover Vent

Hello again,
As some of you may know I’ve been chasing a couple issues in the engine compartment. It appears I corrected a coolant leak that was dripping on the exhaust stack thus causing smoke. 

Now I have smoke coming from the valve cover vent pipe. I’m posting a picture but here are a few details. 
Coach had been driven approximately 10 miles, coolant temp 185*, oil temp 173*, and the outside air temp is 45*. 

I’ve reached out to the manager of the Tampa Florida Detroit Diesel Service Center who’s team worked on the engine before I brought it home. I have not heard back from him. 

In the meantime can anyone tell me if this looks normal based on the information I’ve provided. 

Thanks, JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

Mmmm, what I noticed is that the puffing at the breather outlet seemed to coincide with the knocking of the engine. The knocking sounds normal to me, but the volume out the breather SEEMS a bit much to me. I doubt it is smoke, though if it is as determined by odor that would indicate something really awry.

If this venting is blowby, then I would expect it to change with a change in engine speed. Is it normal? I don't know, but I would expect an engine of that vintage to be less expressive than this. If it was mine I would want someone with more expertise than I possess to look at it.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Think you should check the dipstick and the oil fill cap/plug for condensation
(Milky stuff) at top of stick and underside of plug. If nothing there its blow by
I’ve owned several DD60 and that was common problem BUT they ran 7-800,000
Miles that way

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

(01-04-2019, 03:41 PM)Georgeb Wrote:  Think you should check the dipstick and the oil fill cap/plug for condensation
(Milky stuff) at top of stick and underside of plug. If nothing there its blow by
I’ve owned several DD60 and that was common problem BUT they ran 7-800,000
Miles that way

When is the best time to check it? It’s been sitting all day, my first chance will be tomorrow morning.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi

Best way, check when it’s cold

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Hmmmmmm. Must confirm no water in oil. Drain a pint of oil into a clear container and let it sit over night. If any coolant in oil it will settle to the bottom. Tilt the container to create anlow point and look.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Might want to use a container to grab a bit of what we think is blow by, and see if it is water or oil. Kind of looks like steam, not smoke. Richards test will certainly tell what is happening, as would an oil analysis at Blackstone Labs. 

Hope it's a small issue !

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I took these pictures soon after I brought the coach home from Tampa. I had it parked in my driveway and started it the day after or so. 
The mess came out of the valve cover vent tube. I put floor dry over it and that soaked it right up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

Just pulled the plug and dipstick.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

It doesn’t appear you have water in your oil.  As has already been stated, if there was water in the oil, a “snot like” substance would form on the bottom of the fill cap and the oil could appear to resemble chocolate milk.  Although, you may haven’t run it enough for these indicators to form.  As Richard said, pull an oil sample.   Run the engine long enough for the temp to come up and circulate and then take your sample.  Use a turkey baster with an extension tube to get into the pan area.  

If the sample comes back showing no water (coolant) , you have a blow by situation.  Blow by is compression leaking past the rings.  George knows a lot about series 60’s as does Julius,  perhaps they could chime in with their thoughts.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567