You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Front sway bar broken

So, this morning I retied it up with bungee, and several independent 10g wire double wrapped loops around it.

BTW, this is an 1 1/2" swaybar, no upgrade available. "3 or 4 broken Swaybars does not make a problem requiring an up grade" (newell parts)
about $1,100 after ground shipping

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

(My coach has something like 16,000 pounds on the front axle. The anti roll bar is resisting a huge force in these coaches.

Bend any steel enough times and it will fatigue fracture.

I view all springs as a wear item that will need to be replaced from time to time.

If the size of the anti roll bar is increased too much then it will compromise other aspect of the suspension. Too much resistance and the other pivot points take on too much load or the system just binds up, becoming non compliant. Too stiff and you basically have no suspension and the tires leave the road.)

I respectfully disagree with springs and bars needing to be replaced as a maintenance item. I'll just say I have an extensive history on all kinds of automotive (including a race car team for road courses) and Trucks, particular Class 8(owned and managed a fleet of Semi trucks), including Motorhomes. I have never had a swaybar break. I have had suspension components break on Semi trucks, mainly due to overloading and once to abuse off-road. Never over the road, normal anticipated designed usage. I treat this Coach as an Asphalt queen, Unlike Semi trucks, where they may get used off-road as a dump truck. I'm not going to make a case against Newell, but I've only got 108K on this coach. You are correct, these are very top heavy vehicles and that Torsion bar is trying to control that motion and its not easy to do that. Engineering can be better, either mechanically or environmentally.

I just would say, the lateral bars could be shorter, angles could be different, diameters could be bigger, or my tax dollars could make better roads.

Now finishing my trip without the swaybar, adds stresses to other components and that's where real trouble begins and I'll have to take it very easy.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Oh boy just another thing for me to be concerned with. I wonder , hmm gonna have a look tomorrow

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive