You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

99 newell tag airbag replacement

my 99 had a problem that when you raised the suspension much above ride height, the drivers side tag bag would hiss air and leak alot.  it would drop down quickly to rideheight and stop hissing but then would completely drop at the rear drivers side overnight.  all other corners holding steady.  

i went off of what others had found out on their 99's as to which airbag the tag was.  i might note that the passenger side tag bag is a firestone and this drivers side one that was leaking is a goodyear and appeared newer.  in fact it was date coded 2014 when i took it off.  

i found at stengle brothers the ability to order 2 of the goodyear 1R11-202 bags that are needed for the tag.  they have two mounting studs top and bottom with them being rotated 90 degrees from each other top and bottom.  

after airing the coach up high, using a 22ton jack to raise it up higher and put jackstands under both rear sides, we took the tire off.  i have a 1" air impact wrench but i didnt have a 33 mm impact socket so amazon brought it in a day.  then i broke down and bought a truck tire wheel dolly to easily take the tire on and off.  picture below.  

with the tag wheel off it is easy to get at.  two 3/4" nylock nuts on the bottom up in the hole that you use a deep well socket and extension to remove.  the top has the same at the back and a 1/4" air line going in a brass adapter that screws into the bigger stud that the air goes into the bag with.  it was a 1 1/16" nut.  the airline was jammed in with the farrel so i cut the airline as close as possible since it was long enough.  

the way we did it was we jacked the tag axle up with a 3 ton floor jack to maneuver the airbag in and out.  

here is the interesting part.  the bag i took out was a goodyear 1R11-080.   i believe it comes with the top and bottom mounting studs in line with each other and then you have to rotate the bag on the bottom plate to get them to be 90 degrees out  the 1r11-080 said it was a replacment for the 938 firestone bag.  the 1r11-202 says it is also  replacement for the 9378.   but the 202 is rotated with the studs the right way as it came.  

the 080 bag just has a loose bottom plate and the airbag is just like a tubeless tire with a bead.  the 202 new bag is bolted in place on the bottom

there is some speculation that the older 080 bags that have the loose plate on the bottom could leak at the bead.  i do not think the 202 bag i put on will do that given the way it is bolted together.  

we had to ream the mounting holes out just a little to make ti go in easy.  put the top studs in and loosely put the mounting nuts on leaving lots of slack.  then used the floor jack to jack the tag axle up to get the airbag studs in the bottom holes.  then tightened them all, put the brass fitting in the air stud and a new farrel and compression nut and put the airline back on.  btw, i used teflon tape and sealant on the brass fitting  

using the wheel dolly makes it a breeze to put the tire/wheel back on.  

all seems to be good now

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

There is a Firestone alternative bag for the tag application W01-358-9448. You can loosen the bottom bolt and clock the plate in any orientation. Some years Newell drilled the holes to that top and bottom bolts were in line. Some years have the top and bottom holes 90 degrees apart.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )