You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Microphor porcelain reinforcement

Hello,
From what I understand Microphor does not make the porcelain bodies of our toilets.  While working through my squawk list on 525 we had an air leak that require pulling the 1/2 bath toilet.  In the process, found the toilet floor base had been cracked before and glued together with who knows what.  Rather than take a chance, I added a layer of 2" fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin to both base flanges.  The repair added some reinforcement to each flange.  Repaired the air leak and reinstalled the toilet being careful not to over torque the base bolts.  Back in operation with no issues:-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

i like the garage floor

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Steve,

Nice repair. If that cracks again, you might think about adding a 1/2 or 3/4 layer of structural foam, and another layer of glass to form a composite beam. Since you used System 3, I know you are familiar with boat building technology. The composite structure would greatly reduce any flexing.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I am constantly amazed by the talents of you Newell Gurus. You can bring your tool boxes to my house anytime.

Oh I forgot, we are full timers in our classic Newell. I don't have a stick and bricks house for you to come over to any more. Smile

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

(01-17-2019, 07:05 AM)Richard Wrote:  Steve,

Nice repair. If that cracks again, you might think about adding a 1/2 or 3/4 layer of structural foam, and another layer of glass to form a composite beam. Since you used System 3, I know you are familiar with boat building technology. The composite structure would greatly reduce any flexing.

Thanks Richard,
When it comes out again that is a great idea!  In fact, when the rear toilet comes out, I will do exactly that as a preemptive strike.

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL