You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

TALL hitch for toad car

That Gen-Y hitch looks pretty awesome. Wish I could use the stabilizer system but it would be flipped and would not work. I’m looking into options to add lower tow points on my Jeep.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Good point re: overtorquing the receiver/frame with these big setups.

On my coach, for example, the hitch is rated for 1400lb of tongue weight. It's a bit hard to go from that number to a more general torque value, but the total weight of my hitch, towbar, cargo tray, rack, cargo, and bikes is about 350lb with a center of mass about 12 inches behind the end of the receiver. So I think with safety factors, napkin math blah-blah-blah, we are probably okay.

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

Maybe I just need to get another Over-Bilt motorcycle lift - that worked well and the hitch was tall enough with that setup.
PLUS I could get another bike! :-)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I got the Gen Y as well in order to put a bike rack on the back of the coach with the toad. It was literally the only hitch receiver doubler that I could find that was rated for >4k pounds.

One note on it however if you use lockable pins is that the width is wider than most receiver pins (and also lockable receiver pins). I had to buy new lockable receiver pins as well.

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

I have a 1996 Newell, and a 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock 4 door as a toad, a 10k Blue Ox tow system with a 10" rise hitch and it works great, and the tow bar is level. The Jeep has a 3" Terraflex 8 bar fully adjustable lift, Falcon Reservoir shocks, and 17" Fuel wheels on 35" Toyo Open Country tires. Not sure why your tow bar is so unlevel? Did not think 1/2 inch lift difference and 2 inch difference in tire size would throw it off that much. Is your ride height on your coach correct? Is there room to raise it?
What shocks do you have on the Jeep? Are they adjustable? Consider shorter shocks to help?
What tow system do you have? Where is your tow bar located, under or over your front bumper?

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

Thanks John, I have the tow bar mounted to the Jeep on an aluminum Rugged Ridge bumper - so it basically mounts where the D-rings would normally be.  This does put the towbar up much higher than if I used the mount that I originally bought for it.  I will either order another mounting bracket for it or get someone to ship me the one on the floor of my garage - it’s been being used as a parking stop for the past year (and works pretty well)! 
What are you using for the Jeep end of the Tow Bar to connect to?

BTW, I had asked Newell about ride height and as I recall it was about 10” from the bottom of the fiberglass fairing in front of the rear tires (I may not be recalling that correctly though).
How high does your’s ride?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

This is one of the best and most informative threads. Right now I am a lil bit busy and after completing my task I will share my knowledge about electric bike rack with all of you guys.