You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell decision

Greetings to the Newell Gurus community.  My membership to this group is less than a week old and I have loved reading the many interesting threads.  The reason I joined is that my brother and myself are soon to become the new owners of coach 674 (2003 quad slide).  It was my dad's coach, but he passed away suddenly in mid-December and our families have been contemplating whether to sell the coach or keep it.  My brother is not really interested in keeping it as his preferred recreation are boats vs. RV's.  As you can imagine, many factors will influence the final decision but I wanted to ask a few questions to current owners to address some of my concerns related to such a big rig.  I currently have a 1999 40' Fleetwood American Tradition for about 10 years now and my family loves the many trips we enjoy in it (me, the wife, three sons ages 16, 14, & 8).  We use it at least 8-10 times per year when they are out of school!

Questions/concerns:  

• While only 5' longer, the 45' Newell is considerably larger and I'm concerned it's too big for many rv parks, etc.  Has any one found this to be an issue? 
  • Systems and maintenance: I am used to being able to trouble shoot and fix the majority of issues on the Fleetwood and I'm concerned the Newell will be more complex and numerous...am I going to be overwhelmed with maintaining them or be forced to use outside repair providers?
  • Speaking of outside maintenance, what is the closest place to get a Newell worked on in East TN (near Knoxville)?
  • The floor plan is extremely room with the slides extended, but the rear bath / crawling over the bed while traveling may be an issue for my passengers on long trips.
  • My final comment is that Newell's seem a bit undervalued in the market place.  In my opinion, the price we would be paid does not justify the quality of the coach. 
Anyway, I look forward to any feedback and I am learning more and more about the Newell coaches and the community every time I visit this site.

Jeff Reed
2003 45' coach #674
2018 Jeep Wrangler

Hi Jeff,
I am up in Jefferson City and have own 3 different Newell over the last 17 years. Be happy to talk and give you my take on who what and where to maintain your coach.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Jeff,

These are my opinions, only facts in MY mind.

If you will read RV park reviews before you make reservations, you can weed out the parks that will give you issues. Don't trust the campground without verifying on the review sites. If you have been driving a 40 footer for ten years, you won't know much difference with a 45. The most trouble I have had getting into was Montgomery Bell in the great state of Tennessee.

There will be a learning curve on maintenance, but if you have owned another coach for 10 years, you can figure it out. Lot's of resources on the internet, and of course this forum.

I would lean on Ron to tell you the best folks to deal with in East Tn.

Not knowing the floor plan, I am assuming no half bath. I can agree with the bathroom issue while traveling.

Undervalued. Some of us would agree, but I do understand the dynamic. First, very few places are going to lend money on a coach over ten years old today. Two, it's a 15 to 20 year old coach. It will require some upkeep and refurbishment. That scares away all but the hands on crowd. So, the buyers for such coaches are not the mainstream. I would love for my coach to be valued higher, but it is what it is.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry we didn't get to meet your Dad, but hopefully we will run into you and the coach soon.

Pretty easy day drive from Knox to Bella Terra, even if you can only come for a weekend.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(01-28-2019, 05:07 PM)ron skeen Wrote:  Hi Jeff,
I am up in Jefferson City and have own 3 different Newell over the last 17 years. Be happy to talk and give you my take on who what and where to maintain your coach.

Thank you Ron.  I will definitely reach out for your suggestions if I end up keeping vs selling!

(01-28-2019, 05:36 PM)Richard Wrote:  Jeff,

These are my opinions, only facts in MY mind.

If you will read RV park reviews before you make reservations, you can weed out the parks that will give you issues. Don't trust the campground without verifying on the review sites. If you have been driving a 40 footer for ten years, you won't know much difference with a 45. The most trouble I have had getting into was Montgomery Bell in the great state of Tennessee.

There will be a learning curve on maintenance, but if you have owned another coach for 10 years, you can figure it out. Lot's of resources on the internet, and of course this forum.

I would lean on Ron to tell you the best folks to deal with in East Tn.

Not knowing the floor plan, I am assuming no half bath. I can agree with the bathroom issue while traveling.

Undervalued. Some of us would agree, but I do understand the dynamic. First, very few places are going to lend money on a coach over ten years old today. Two, it's a 15 to 20 year old coach. It will require some upkeep and refurbishment. That scares away all but the hands on crowd. So, the buyers for such coaches are not the mainstream. I would love for my coach to be valued higher, but it is what it is.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry we didn't get to meet your Dad, but hopefully we will run into you and the coach soon.

Pretty easy day drive from Knox to Bella Terra, even if you can only come for a weekend.
Thank you for the facts (opinions) Richard.  I was just looking at Bella Terra and contemplating whether or not I can fit that no rally rally in my schedule.  May 11-15 is a possibility and would be time well spent if we end up deciding to keep it.

Jeff Reed
2003 45' coach #674
2018 Jeep Wrangler

Food for thought:

If you decide to keep the coach, you will meet owners at Bella Terra who will be able to answer all of your questions about your coach.

If you decide to sell your coach, you may meet a potential buyer or give owners a first hand look at your coach to assist a future buyer with his/her decision.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

hi jeff,

sorry about your dad. like richard i wish we could have met him,

sounds like you have used the newell. if so you have realized the huge difference ride, driving and overall experience.

the downside from the coach you have now i would assume is sleeping areas for your family of 5. the newells are not normally set up to sleep five people easily. most have the bed in the back and a sofa bed or jack knife sofa. when we did a trip with our daughter and 2 grandkids we used the couch and a nice inflatable queen bed in the salon. we have a slide in front and one in the bedroom. not sure where your 3rd slide is.

the newell is considerably more complex than your current rig, but manageable if you are a do it your selfer. lots of help here on the forum as well.

take up ron or anyone else for advise.

value wise is always a tough discussion. i and many others on here frequently get asked to help value or price a coach or what price to pay for one. we generally say it is worth what you are willing to sell or pay for it. that said there are ranges you can find online for what people are asking. problem is most folks that are selling are attached to it emotionally or financially and ask or think it is worth way more than what people are willing to pay.

and of course the thousand other things that are part of the value equation.

we hope you keep it and become part of our guru gang. a finer bunch of folks you will never meet.

rv'ing when the kids are your ages is a great thing. and great when they are gone too.

my two cents worth

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH