You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tag/Hub/Spindle/Rotor failure

A week ago last Monday (Jan. 21) we left Brownsville headed for Rudy Leggett's place in Baycity so he could work on our AquaHot System. We had been without heat and hot water fortunately for only a few days.  Right around Woodsboro, TX the Tag Axle bearing failed causing the tire to blow.  We contacted a tire service and fairly quickly a guy with a tire showed up.  He had trouble loosening the bolts, but when he finally got it off (naturally the rim was ruined), but the most serious problem was that the Hub was about to fall off.  It was seriously cracked. We drove to Victoria and got a guy that was knowledgeable to come with better equipment than the tire guy had and after several hours finally he got it off using an air chisel. Got everything off, including the spindle, so right now there is nothing back there except the housing.

We finally got off the side of the road into a service station parking lot, ruining one of the drive tires in the process, and then eventually to an RV Park in Victoria last Friday. We've been looking for parts since then and the part numbers that we were able to identify were not getting us anywhere, called Newell a couple of times, and finally talked to Jim Ghering who was able to look up an old invoice that had part numbers and (old) prices from 2008 for what I need. These parts cross-referenced to Prevost parts.  

Still have not had any word from the Service Center (which fortunately is right across the highway from the RV Park).  Jim emailed those to us just yesterday and they haven't contacted us with anything positive yet.

We are posting the invoice that Jim emailed to us which include those parts for those that have the independent rear Tag Axle Suspension. Our coach is a 2002.

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2002 Newell #638 (4 slides)
Tow 2012 TDI VW Jetta Car
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck
Pontoon boat, 2 John Deere Tractors and a golf cart!!!

Ed, sorry about the tag.

Your attachment did not come through, but it sure would be nice to have it as part of the forum documentation.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )
Video 

.pdf Prevost-Newell.pdf Size: 122.3 KB  Downloads: 63
Richard...I tried twice to post the info we got from Newell.  It's a PDF file, so I would have thought it would be an OK format...I'll try again.  You may have to "coach" me.  
Ed wanted me to sign this Lynda, because he didn't want to admit he couldn't do it either.  I have no shame!

It "looks" like it's attached...but I can tell I guess until I hit "Post"?

Ed also wanted me to say that the Part Numbers of Prevost Numbers and would have to be cross-referenced.  I'm editing this and it looks like I managed to insert the attachment 3 times...I don't want to delete because I might delete everything.  Just know all 3 attachment are the same thing.

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck

When I read of multiple failures of this type, on a coach that is maintained to a high level, with the failure being on a generic part that is used on million mile long haul buses day in and day out , I always wonder what we can do to avoid such failures. Is there something we are missing in our maintenance routine?  

I am very tempted when we head east to west to visit Tom's "bus guy" and have him inspect our coach as he would one of his commercial buses , which often see 100K miles per year or more.  Our coach has an 8V92 with a very marginal cooling system at best. Any thoughts?

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Ed sorry about your problems, but looking at those part prices are totally out of line. We run tags on a lot of our over the road trucks with no problems. I am sure where you’re at I would call either a kw or Pete dealer and see what they say. They will have access to most parts.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

Happy to report that I got phone call a few minutes ago telling me that the parts we need for our Tag Axle repair have been found in Dallas and they should be in Victoria on Tuesday.  Hope it's really true.  Going to try to post some pictures of the problem we had.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck

Wow! Sorry for your troubles! That crack looks bad - I have to second the notion of figuring out how to avoid this in the future. What can we do to head something like this off?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Good pics.  Glad they located the parts.  It looks like a straight forward assembly.  How many miles are on the one that failed?

Happy to hear you will be back on the road soon.
Ed, was this a bearing failure, or was the brake rotor torn of at the weld? Is there a stripped stud at the 7 o'clock position?

Regards,
Guy

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Doug: The odometer says 175,000.  I'm assuming that is correct? 

Guy: I think the cause and start of our problems was the bearing failure. It was dry. And the rotor was loose from the hub. 
Had lots of trouble getting the lug nut off the stud at the 7 o'clock position as well as the one at 8 o'clock.
Also having to replace the Spindle.

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck