You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coach Batteries Cooking

Gordon,
Ok, Disconnected the following....shore power, engine batteries switch to off, house batteries switch to off, inverter switch to off, and disconnected both pos & neg leads to the inverter.  The Link 2000 is still powered up??? So where could it be powered from? I am drawing a blank.  I checked behind the Link 2K panel and there doesn't appear to be a fuse like the manual states....in that location.

BTW the inverter is working on the supply side not sure about the charging side as the panel indicates a float charge status.

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Gordon,
Found the Link 2000 Fuse.  It is a 5amp inline fuse in the house battery compartment near the bus bars.  Got to thinking the Link 2K needs to see raw battery voltages and there she be!  So pulled the fuse rebooted the Link 2K and now back in operation.  Thanks for being a sounding board in troubleshooting this!

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

The red cable that isn’t landed on the highly tarnished stud (in your picture) is the positive to the inverter.  The black running next to it is the inverter negative.   The other negative (in the picture) is landed on the shunt which is where the link 2000 is reading the amp draw.

There has been a highly acidic environment in that compartment.  If you change batteries, it might be worthwhile cleaning all tarnished surfaces.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

You are correct "There has been a highly acidic environment" due to the batteries (several occasions) cooking for some yet to be determined cause.  Yesterday, I smelled the batteries hence finding the locked up control panel when I went to check the volts & amps.  It almost acts like an un-commanded EQ charge cycle.  The panel indicated a float charge the entire time it was locked up.  I just got to catch it acting up to understand what is happening.

When I do change the batteries that compartment will be getting an overhaul.

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Steve,

Read the owners manual for the inverter for specific instructions on connecting and disconnecting the cables. I think you have a Xantrex, but the Magnum’s have the reverse sequence that you normally use, so that you don’t ground the large amperage connection through the control panel. In other words, it’s negative first, positive last for connection. There is another guru, and his helpers, that possibly cooked an inverter by not being aware of the manufacturer’s recommendation.

I don’t know if that is the case with yours, but it will only take a minute to consult the manual.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )